Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get out of Portland pretty frequently, and I love all the dark Oregon back roads. I was thinking about installing a small brush bar on the front of my 86 Quad, through the front air dam to mount a set of Hella Rallye 3000 driving lights (9" diam.) and Hella FF200 Fog lights (5" diam. oval). They'll sit right in front of the bumper (I pray I don't rear end some one) something kind of like the photos below.

Anyone seen, have, opinion about big rally lights on a spider or these specific products? Pictures would be awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The 9" lights might look a bit out of place if it's an otherwise stock car. Especially with the nose of the spider being so slender. Regarding fog lights, I think the general rule is to keep them low to the ground, so the lower you can mount them the better. Perhaps a set of modern smallish driving lights and matching fog lights might work better? Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
The 9" lights might look a bit out of place if it's an otherwise stock car.
I agree that they would probably look out of place. If the car would be in "full rallye outfit", it might be different

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have this small lightramp on my 33 (see the picture)... Its almost as good as the five Hella Rallye 3000 i have on my KingCab..
If i break them i will buy the same set but with xenon-lights instead.. Price with Xenon is around 250 USD.. They are the sh*t..
I think that it will look much better than a set of the huge Rallye..

And by the way, i live almost in the geographic middle of Sweden.. Thats 63°23'0.39"N 13° 7'59.26"E (check it out on google maps or google earth), little more to the north than Ancorage, Alaska.. At christmas the sun rises at 9.45 and goes down 14.15 the rest of the "day" we have f*cking pitch black..
I use the lightramp alot in the winter (its connected to the High Beam), in the summer i never use it but then we got daylight almost 24/7, in midsummer the sun rises at 2.45 and settles 23.30 :cool:

For reference Portland is around the same latitude as Milano (hey sweet latitude for an Alfa.. :D )

About the picture: Im changing one of the UJs..

Ps. Sorry for my bad english, but im swedish and got dyslexia..

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I run 500s and my Milano ! www.rallylights.com
I also have 90/130 bulbs in the stock lights with upgraded wiring harness (relays).
If you mount those the other way round (not back to front, but upside down) they will work better. General rule of thumb is spot lights go high and fog lights go low.

With the Spider, I'd recommend doing a H4 headlight conversion so the existing high beams are as good as possible (Cibie make excellent inserts, also use relays and better wires) and then get some small spots to go on a small nudge bar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you mount those the other way round (not back to front, but upside down) they will work better. General rule of thumb is spot lights go high and fog lights go low.

With the Spider, I'd recommend doing a H4 headlight conversion so the existing high beams are as good as possible (Cibie make excellent inserts, also use relays and better wires) and then get some small spots to go on a small nudge bar.
The headlight conversion was one of my first upgrades. It has made a remarkable difference not only functionally but cosmetically as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually - your English is better than half of the native speakers on this site! :eek:
Gee.. Thanks, that means alot to me.. I think i suck, but im trying hard to get everything right. A message of that size takes me an hour or so to write.

Rdykilawat:
If you choose to go for the big rallyes, do a full rally conversion and build a new hood in glassfiber with the lights in it.. that could look quite interesting. Its not so expensive either.
It's not every day you see WRC-kitted Spider.. Just that is worth the money :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Had a pair of Hella lights on my old Berlina, fitted by the PO.

They were pretty bright, and i thought they looked pretty good, im not sure how they would look on a spider?

The Fiat 124 Abarth was pretty **** cool but somehow i doubt you are prepared to go that far :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Are you going more for the rally look or for the lighting function? I think if you're priority is function: smaller diameter, modern units under the grill/in the airdam area is the way to go. If the rally look is more important to you - you can't beat headlight fairings ala the Fiat-Abarth pictured above.:cool: Then of course, you'll need some sponsor stickers, knobby tires, jacked up ride height and some mudflaps!:D What about a rollbar with lights attached above it!??:eek:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts