Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is where we will be discussing the TSD and Gimmick Rallies. Please note that the schedule is being finalized and registration has not yet opened. Convention information is being updated and posted on our website Home

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Well I'm signing up for the events today and saw the gimmick rally. Is it recommended to go to the TSD rally school to do this. Thinking of having my son drive the event with me riding with him. He's 18.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Well I'm signing up for the events today and saw the gimmick rally. Is it recommended to go to the TSD rally school to do this. Thinking of having my son drive the event with me riding with him. He's 18.
Murray,

The most important question: are you in it to win or to have fun?

Additional Questions:

Do you want to be on speaking terms with your son when it's over? Do you want to do the mental calculations when the odometer reading no longer correlates with any instruction that you're reading or are you prepared to back up until it does?

I've been on the computer end with the navigator reading me questions to research. So there are those who find ways.

Pat and I never rallied, it wasn't worth the indecision, wrong decision etc. whether I drove or read directions. This was long before technology was available. While GPS are normally against the rules there are other creative ways to circumvent the rules and get correct answers.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Murray,

You probably know, but, TSD is Time-Speed-Distance, and the school will provide instruction for calculating average speed, and speed changes, as well as other information for a traditional rally. The gimmick rally will still have route following instructions, but no checkpoints where your arrival time is scored.

Some people get really serious and love the challenge of high level TSD events; measuring distances in 1000ths of a mile, getting their exact time from the Bureau of Standards, with computers to keep on exact correct average speed, and dealing with "challenging" route instructions. Our TSD rally will have the flavor of a traditional rally, but won't get into the exacting details of a SCCA National Championship rally. The gimmick rally will be more for fun (although certain AROC members have been known to be highly competitive on a gimmick rally. You know who you are...)

Thanks for coming, and we hope you have a great time.

msiert; Well I'm signing up for the events today and saw the gimmick rally. Is it recommended to go to the TSD rally school to do this. Thinking of having my son drive the event with me riding with him. He's 18.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Yes, Murray, I would highly recommend that you both attend the TSD Rally School sessions. The first class will be held in the morning and will cover fundamentals. This is where the instructor will go over what the TSD is, how it is conducted, how you are graded, how to read the instructions of the sheet, etc. Then, there will be a classroom workshop in the evening. The workshop will cover 2 exercises. The first one will be done by the instructor, and the second you will do on your own, and then the instructor will review the answers.

There will be two entry classes for the TSD: novice and standard. Novice is for those with no or little experience. Both classes will drive the same course, but the standard class rally sheet will be a more challenging. The course and the classes are designed to provide a fun, but still challenging TSD experience through the great roads that we have in KY.

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
That's fine, but do note that the schedule is such that you can run both rallies, and still attend all tech sessions...

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I signed up for both rallies and schools, not that school ever did me much good. The last several conventions I've been to I participated in the rallies and no matter how I finished, always had a great time.

I look at them as part tour, part time trial.

Tad

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hi Tad,

Did you attend the convention in 2009 in Portland? (That's where I did my first TSD series...)

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hi Tad,

Did you attend the convention in 2009 in Portland? (That's where I did my first TSD series...)

Best regards,
And.... I might add, that he finished 2nd in one of the three rallyes in the series, third in the overall series, and barely made it to the awards luncheon on Sunday because he was sooooo miserably off-course.....
(All attributable, I'm certain, to the most exquisite skill of his piloto) ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.