Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Giulia GT Junior, with 2 litre conversion
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What methods are open to me to raise the front roll centre of a 105 which has been dropped about 25mm?

Alfaholics supply a part which claims to raise the front roll centre, but although I see how this alters the caster and camber, I can't see how pushing the lower ball joint outwards raises the roll centre?

Any other suggestions? thks

·
Registered
185 Posts
The ball joint is also inverted and gives a better lower control angle. You need to run the geometry corrected spindles for best results. I am running corrected spindles with inverted Accua ball joints

IMG_6093.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
I have dropped spindle uprights from Richard Jemison that both raise the roll center and increase the camber gain in turns. I never experience under steer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ball joint is also inverted and gives a better lower control angle. You need to run the geometry corrected spindles for best results. I am running corrected spindles with inverted Accua ball joints

View attachment 1629138
Thanks. Very neat installation.

The angle of the lower control arm does not affect the roll centre. This is directed by the geometry of the "pivot points", i.e. the control arm pick up on the chassis and the centre of the ball joint. Given the position of the ball joint hasn't shifted, neither has the chassis side pick up point, I'm not sure how this mod (alone) has shifted the roll centre? This isn't a critique, more a genuine question.

·
Administrator
12,527 Posts
The position of the ball joint (pivot point) has moved. It has moved down quite a lot.

Alfa Romeo installs their bottom ball joint above the bottom of the upright, for safety reasons, so the ball joint points down. Smithy's ball joint is below the bottom of the upright, so points up. Many manufacturers don't (and they point up) and this might be why you think the ball joint has not moved
Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts