Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Guys, I thought I'd post an update with some pictures. Still working on the videos but they take really long to finish :)

We finished both door skins, fixing the frames took forever as the left door frame was in really bad shape. They are looking good now and we could use them to set the gaps before welding in the sills

I borrowed a spot welding machine to join the top of the skins to the frames.

The project feels like its moving on quickly as I'm trial fitting the new inner and middle sills with self tapping screws, soon they will be ready for welding

I have to remake one end of the support brace that goes under the floors to fix this abomination of a repair

Cut the bad part out and bent the profile on a bender

I sliced the ends to copy the tapered end and bent the tabs as per original, just needs a larger radius on the ends

Stay tuned for more :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great video again.
The work on the door was really interesting, as I will be starting that journey in a few months. I have the same 'make two from four' door project ahead of me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Mart, the doors took 3 times longer than I expected, the right wasn't too bad but the left door was almost beyond repair. Take your time with the skins, and try to borrow/rent a spot welder for the door tops, it worked great for us. The manual door skin tool was ok but an pneumatic one might do a better job. The folds on the factory doors are really sharp

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am now convinced to buy a spot welder. Looking on eBay for a good used one.

Seems it will come in handy for more than just doing the front wings, which helps justify its purchase.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Its a useful bit of kit, I started from the centre and alternated the welds from side to side, that will help keep the panel flat. Also use clamps to hold the sheets together the weld might blow through if the 2 sheets have a gap

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Better than finding out myself! Like all things looks dead easy to do but I'd rather be aware of pitfalls before I experience them first hand!

I think I'm on hold with the project now until christmas holidays, as lots of other things to do.
Gives me time to source the spot welder. BTW where are you located?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ah ok. Lovely island.
I went there as a child inthe 1980's and loved all the old cars and busses.
It's probably all changed now.
I remember snorkelling in a lovely bay (golden bay?) and visiting Valletta, bugiba(?)and St. Paul's bay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah you have a good memory, it has changed a lot, its a lot more crowded now, lots of traffic at rush hours etc, still the weather is nice for most of the year. There aren't as many classic old cars driving around daily, they're more kept as classics, the scene is really good as a lot of people are importing rare cars from Europe and the US

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Geoffrey, thanks for all your work with the videos, they're great fun to watch! I wonder if you could show me around your project some day?! I just moved to Malta from the UK where I have a '73 Junior waiting patiently on me. I'm a rank beginner at anything like this so will probably farm a lot of the work out once I get the car over here, but I'm keen to learn as much as I can in the meantime. Let me know and keep up the great work! :)

Kind regards,

Joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Geoffrey, thanks for all your work with the videos, they're great fun to watch! I wonder if you could show me around your project some day?! I just moved to Malta from the UK where I have a '73 Junior waiting patiently on me. I'm a rank beginner at anything like this so will probably farm a lot of the work out once I get the car over here, but I'm keen to learn as much as I can in the meantime. Let me know and keep up the great work! :)

Kind regards,

Joe

Hi Joey, sure I usually work on Saturdays but my garage is close to home so we can have a look. Are you on Facebook so I can send the details on how to find the garage?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I had some time off during the Christmas holidays however I hoped to get more done. It took me and my dad 3 days to find set up the door gaps and sill location but the doors are too hard to close :( I will buy new door seals as the ones that came with the car are probably the old kind which is too thick.

Happy new year everyone!!

Here's next year's goal :)

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Inspect the closed door seal all the way around from inside the car to see if you have a pinch or tight area that is causing the door to be hard to close.

I had this and it was the bottom of the door (with thanks to 1750GT, who sent me sketches/dimensions of his car where the sill/rocker and door had never been replaced). I fixed this by modifying my door as I must have installed my sill/rocker just a wee bit too high ... but also if your door has had some work on the area the seal is supposed to align this can cause tight areas.
Pete

·
Registered
274 Posts
Pete. Can you expand a little bit on "modifying your doors" to get them to shut better with the rubber stripping in there? I'm going through this right now on my car and finding that at the bottom of the driver's side door it is just a touch to tight, and therefore pushing the bottom lip of the door out of alignment with the sill. Argh. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts