Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the late 80's Kenwood stereo from the 1968 GTV and fitted a working AM radio that was made in '69-70. It looks great, but the noise generated by the ignition and charging systems is horrendous, overwhelming what is a weak signal only. I have a separate FM BT device in the car for music, but I would like the radio to actually work! I guess the usual suspects are suppressors on the alternator, coil and plug leads. However I am not sure if all of these are needed and if they are, what capacitance values are appropriate?

Many thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
I didn’t know AM radio was still a thing.
Wait a sec, Dad is that you!???

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can be nice originality to have the radio that the car came with. At least on most other classic cars of some value. I have, as mentioned, a separate BT/streaming option, but the inherited noise from the charging and ignition renders the radio AM signal useless. I can put suppressors on heaps of things to find the possible sources, but I suspect that some are not needed. For example should the alternator need one? Or does it have one? Are the plug leads shielded?

·
Super Moderator
10,367 Posts
What make/model of vintage radio are you using? I have a Becker Europa II in my '70 BMW. It worked kind like you describe. Becker has a repair service here in the US - ship the radio back to New Jersey, pay ~$200 and it comes back working a LOT better. Don't know if such a service is available to you, but I thought it was well worth the money.

Shielding the ignition might be worthwhile though I doubt your alternator requires a suppression capacitor; I think that was just a thing for generators. Try parking a car with a modern radio next to your Alfa. Start your Alfa's engine while leaving the modern car's engine off but its radio on. How does the modern radio sound? If you Alfa is giving off RFI, you'll hear it on the modern radio too.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice thanks Alfajay. I have Becker and Blaupunkt in some other (earlier cars) and they work fine (AM or UHF). This one is a Pianola, AM only. I have tried different aerials and it may be that the radio tuner is is faulty. I like you idea of spreading the RFI around!

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked all the suppressors and still a problem with the old AM radio. I found that one of the aerial trimmers in the radio was not working properly and that was the issue. I since bought a 1969 Grundig radio that will look great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought mine off this auction site:
www.catawiki.com/a/th/1419-car-audio-auction
Nice Italian made Autovox ones do come up regularly from the 60’s and early 70’s. Make sure to chose one with a DIN connector fitted to it (many have this) so that you can hook up your iPhone or other device. My connector is routed through the glove box so the iPhone stays out of site. Works great.

·
Super Moderator
10,367 Posts
I didn’t know AM radio was still a thing.
Seems that I read somewhere recently (of course, I've forgotten where - have been doing nothing else BUT read for the past week!) that new cars will no longer even offer AM radio. Something about all their computers creating too much interference. And of course, a lack of demand for AM.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
AM and FM and Bluetooth now working fine on 1969 Grundig. AM here is still valuable for factual national news and sports.
IMG_20200324_082617.jpg

·
Push hard and live
9,336 Posts
AM for traffic alerts along interstates, particularly in winding mountainous areas where FM and cellular data don't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts