Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
16,986 Posts
Almost all modern radios fit into a DIN receptacle. The original Spider radio is a shaft mount. Are you willing to cut the console to install a DIN receptacle? Otherwise you are limited to an old radio or a modern radio custom built into an old radio ($$).

·
Registered
398 Posts
A radio in an Alfa is like wearing noise cancelling headphones to a concert. In my case, I find that it's the single most useless money I've put in the car. I prefer to hear the canzone di Alfa and be alert for any funky new sound the car might throw at me :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A radio in an Alfa is like wearing noise cancelling headphones to a concert. In my case, I find that it's the single most useless money I've put in the car. I prefer to hear the canzone di Alfa and be alert for any funky new sound the car might throw at me :)
shiraz1965, nice name, but im not interested in what you think. If you have a good car there shouldn't been any funky new sounds.

·
Registered
398 Posts
New Alfa owner I see. Perhaps your attitude will mellow once you start enjoying your car a bit.

All the best :relaxed:

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man, i wasn't asking for opinions, just looking for install help. if people dont have the help don;t answer

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
help, trying to install a radio in a 82 spider, any help would be graet
Can you elaborate on the kind of help you are looking for?
Are you upgrading from an existing system or installing the first ever for the car? Are you looking for ideas on makes and models, speaker sizes, etc, or need help figuring out the wiring?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Can you elaborate on the kind of help you are looking for?
Are you upgrading from an existing system or installing the first ever for the car? Are you looking for ideas on makes and models, speaker sizes, etc, or need help figuring out the wiring?
thanks Mike, my stock radio is dead, I would like to install a newer radio, but I understand that on a 82 spider with a/c theirs no room in the back side of the radio. Just looking for help onn the install. removal dash or console ect.
thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
thanks Mike, my stock radio is dead, I would like to install a newer radio, but I understand that on a 82 spider with a/c theirs no room in the back side of the radio. Just looking for help onn the install
thanks
If you are too tight on space for a modern unit, you could just block off the faceplate and do a trunk mount. Would give you a clean looking console and most modern units can either be controlled by your smartphone via Bluetooth.

Or just go to this site: Vintage Auto Radio Services

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
...but I understand that on a 82 spider with a/c theirs no room in the back side of the radio.
That is interesting. Is it that most modern stereos have a built in amp that makes them deeper. It can't be that Alfa had special shallower stereos made. If so, that would be an option - a no amp stereo, but you'd never hear the music. The other thing that comes to mind is having to build up the front of the slot so the stereo sits more forward. Or what shiraz suggests. Unfortunately I can't help much as I have an S3 (with A/C) that easily accomodated the new stereo I put in a few years.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My modern radio was an easy fit in my S2 but, no A/C. That's what Peppy's problem is. A lot of differences dash and console wise between S2 and S3. Another cheaper solution would simply be to use a portable Bluetooth speaker with smartphone but you likely wouldn't be able to tune in to local radio stations.

Those Vintage Radio guys do a very nice job but, not cheap at all!

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Understanding the issue and still wanting to knowing why, it appears the increased depth of the modern stereo's is due to the CD mechanism. While searching and finding this info on the web, others have avoided this problem by installing a unit without a CD, and rely on wireless, or other inputs like a USB stick with music. Or, you may consider having your original stereo checked and repaired, however it might not be cheap or sound that great, but will fit!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The DIN radio standard was adopted in 1984 but I am not sure when Alfa made the switch from shaft mount radios. I do know that my '91 has a/c and a DIN mount radio. I think the a/c's in S4's has the same ducting as those in earlier cars so the depth should be OK, but don't know for sure.

Last year I replaced the original Alfa radio with an obsolete cassette deck, with an Alpine unit that has a CD, Bluetooth and a USB port. I can say it easily fit depth-wise. The only issue I had was when I replaced the 5.25" speakers in the door I had to use shallow mount speakers that are OK but are inferior to the full depth 5.25" speakers I replaced in the rear shelf. You can't beat a modern sound system even with the top down.

A few years ago I replaced a shaft mount Blaupunkt Mexico in a '77 Mercedes SL with a DIN radio. Since it required cutting the opening, I had a professional installer do the job who had done many similar modifications. For a couple hundred bucks, I was happy to let someone with experience who guaranteed the work do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The DIN radio standard was adopted in 1984 but I am not sure when Alfa made the switch from shaft mount radios. I do know that my '91 has a/c and a DIN mount radio. I think the a/c's in S4's has the same ducting as those in earlier cars so the depth should be OK, but don't know for sure.

Last year I replaced the original Alfa radio with an obsolete cassette deck, with an Alpine unit that has a CD, Bluetooth and a USB port. I can say it easily fit depth-wise. The only issue I had was when I replaced the 5.25" speakers in the door I had to use shallow mount speakers that are OK but are inferior to the full depth 5.25" speakers I replaced in the rear shelf. You can't beat a modern sound system even with the top down.

A few years ago I replaced a shaft mount Blaupunkt Mexico in a '77 Mercedes SL with a DIN radio. Since it required cutting the opening, I had a professional installer do the job who had done many similar modifications. For a couple hundred bucks, I was happy to let someone with experience who guaranteed the work do it.
thanks for the info, I will try to install a new din radio, wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts