Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know the radio in the 164 is supposed to stay on until you remove the key and mine has always worked as designed until about a week ago. Now it turns off with the key. While this not a big deal, it concerns me in that is probably indicating something is starting to go bad. Does anyone know how this circuit works and what would make it fail?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
27,297 Posts
Does your door chime work? The micro switch in ignition switch works door chime and grounds radio power relay.

See radio wiring page 640 in wiring book.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Sometimes mine leaves the radio on and sometimes it cuts right out when I turn off the key. Even when on, the slightest bump of the key cuts the radio off. I just assumed it was worn down now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't paid much attention to door chimes. I'll check them out tomorrow. I've been suspicious about the ignition switch for a couple of months as I've had a couple of instances where it wouldn't start. Then after it sits for awhile it fires right up and runs and starts great.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
If it cranks but won't start, it may be the fuel line inside the tank.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the fuel line about a year ago. When it decides not to start, I can smell gas, so I'm pretty sure its a spark problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked chimes this morning and they work fine and now the radio stays on as designed. Just another Alfa day I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts