Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,
I was a member for about two years. However, I lost my job and decided to go back to school so I let my membership lapsed last November .
I had my Sony Xplod intalled about two years ago by a chain electronic store. No problems until about three days ago. All of a sudden the radio shut off. Well I thought maybe a ground came loose. now that I have the counsel torn apart and the wires exposed.... I can't find where the issue is. I found the wire (I think) that gives the radio power. I also reconnected one of the main grounds from the radio harness. However, When I turn the radio up the power shuts off. Any Ideas?

Dmarland
Two Rivers WI,
1985 Alfa Spider Veloce

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
exactly the same thing

I got a sony xplod too , it plays perfect on low volume but when i turn the volume on ESPECIALLY with the "loud" option (more bass) , it turns off and restarts, haven't really troubleshoot it , as i'm bored taking it off again

when u solve this MSG ME I OWE U ONE BUDDY

p.s. i was thinking something was burned inside the cd player or something or maybe it's the power from the car ,hope it's the second one.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Check your speaker wiring. They have a protection system in decks these days that shuts off the power if something is wrong with the wiring. They will sometimes work at very low volumes until you wind it up, or they will shut off after a short time. I had my brand new Kenwood do it due to me having connected the speakers incorrectly. I actually took the almost new unit out of my burnt car and put that in the new one to start with and when it kept shutting off I assumed it had water damage and bought a new one, which of course did the same thing. Now I have a spare Kenwood deck! If you are using the original Alfa connector it might be because they had the speakers wired up in a strange way in terms of the earths. I think that is what happened in my case. Modern decks just go straight to each speaker with + and -.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I did not really find the issue. I found that the yellow wire from the radio harness was attached to several different things as well as the red wire from the harness. I pulled it all apart and using a wiring digram from the sony intall (issued to me from someone from this site). It seems very straight forward, yellow to all time 12 v "key off" and the red to the accessory "key on" 12 v and the black is the ground. Now I can't get anything to work. WTH!!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
LOL wiring requires first ,patience and second a fire extinguisher.

As our oz friend said above there's a high propability if not 85% it is speaker pollarity

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I have been playing around with the Kenwood system in my 75 during the last few days and have found that if my iPod and the deck are both turned up high and a track that is louder than most of the others comes on, the deck will shut down. Backing the iPod or the deck off a bit fixes the problem. Another factor could also be the way the rear speakers in the 75 are mounted. The factory has them sitting on four plastic legs which are bolted to the steel panel below the parcel shelf, leaving a gap all the way round the hole in the parcel shelf. Speakers need to be sealed or the cones are unable to move in a controlled manner, leading to very thin sound and lower power handling. They need pressure behind them to damp the cone movement. I have sealed the new 5" speakers which has considerably improved their bass response. I have not tried cranking them up really high yet, but I will do so tomorrow and see if the deck still shuts down. It is possible that it could handle the volume better, but we will see. I will test it with the radio as well as the iPod and let you know what happens. If the speakers in your car are not sealed dmarland, they should at least sound better if you can seal them. I used gaffer, (duct), tape, but my brother the electronics expert tells me you can also pack foam or dacron pillow stuffing around them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts