Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a very nice 73 GTV with a non-functioning, old-style, push button, AM-FM Blaupunkt (orig equipment I presume?). If I wanted to repair it, is that even possible? Any thoughts about what I ought to replace it with if I decide to go in that direction? I don't want to enlarge the dash cut-out but I'd also like to advance into at least the 1990s (cassette or cd player, digital).

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have heard that you can add an ipod (or equivalent) to your existing 'set up', therefore getting modern and keeping the original sound system in your car. Collectors/restorers are the biggest beneficiaries of this technology since they can retain stock/original and still hear their modern music. Perhaps look into it?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
There's many shops out in cyberland that repair and restore old car radios. A few are:

oldautoradio.com
redwoodradio.com
vintagecarradio.com

Do a Google search under "vintage car radio repair" or "old car radio repair" or "Becker car radio repair" etc.

They can restore the radio to original condition or can modify it with modern electronics while retaining the classic look. I'll bet that can wire in a pre-amp pin so you can plug in an IPOD too.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I really couldn't (could :confused:) care less about having a radio in the GTV. But I guess it's a necessity for traffic conditions for my 1X yr. upstate event and for :eek: my wife finding out how bad the Mets are loosing:(.

While not original:mad:, it's a Blauplunket :cool: CD with all sorts of blinking & flashing lights. The speakers can't handle the "loudness" button nor the extra bass but that's not an issue.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I really couldn't (could :confused:) care less about having a radio in the GTV. But I guess it's a necessity for traffic conditions for my 1X yr. upstate event and for :eek: my wife finding out how bad the Mets are loosing:(.

While not original:mad:, it's a Blauplunket :cool: CD with all sorts of blinking & flashing lights. The speakers can't handle the "loudness" button nor the extra bass but that's not an issue.

Totally useless over 70 mph with the windows open though:(. Too complicated as I'm always taking the manual out to understand how either to pay a CD or use just the radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Classic Radio in Classic Car

Here are a couple photos of a Becker Europa II AF-FM stereo in my Nuova Super. I sourced this from Ranier at the website posted above. If I did it again, I would go with the Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM-FM stereo, as I had in my original Alfa Berlina in 1975. The Blaupunkt is an easier install, with amp and stereo/fader controls more readily accessible as a part of the main unit. Note, the amp module in my Becker, and the installation wiring with fader control was sourced from Mercedes Benz. Nice install, but pricey and more complicated than a Blaupunkt. And I think the Blaupunkt with 4W per channel (from memory) sounded clearer, with better tuner lock with its local/distance selection.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts