Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to alfas and just acquired a 69 gtv and want to install a radio that is period correct or at least looks period correct, i do not mind behind the scene upgrades, i understand they were a dealer option so i suspect this varied the choices across the nation considerably, i am looking for an am/fm with bluetooth capabilities but the priority is on the aesthetic first, sound quality second, bluetooth capability third, also where were the speakers placed - again trying to be true to the year

thanks for considering and really excited to join the alfa family

[ex 68 porsche 912 owner]

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Welcome to this BB.....and sorry to see no one responded to your question yet. I'm not installing a radio in my 69 GTV...but there are a few threads on the topic of period radios....

other threads can be searched on this BB by using the advanced search function in the site navigation tab (top tight)...

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,762 Posts
where were the speakers placed - again trying to be true to the year
Alfa delivered these cars with a radio cut-out in the dash, but covered it with a trim plate. So the choice of the radio was left up to the dealer or buyer.

I'm trying to remember whether my '66 Sprint has a provision for a speaker on the top of the dash. If it did, this would obviously not have supported stereo or very high fidelity. Most owners would put a pair of speakers in the rear parcel shelf. Back in the day, I'm sure that many owners and neighborhood stereo shops also cut speaker holes in the door cards, though I wouldn't recommend that.

Next you're going to ask where the antenna should go. The answer is that like the radio and speakers, the choice was up to the dealer/owner.

·
2,615 Posts
I've often seen Alfas from that period with dealer-fitted Blaupunkt and Becker radios, not necessarily the higher grade ones. I had a 68 with an AM-only Blaupunkt. But all sorts of things happened with the typically multi-make European car dealers at the time. My father bought a new Peugeot in 1970 and the dealer was fitting GM radios that spelled out B-U-I-C-K on the face plate.

Of course Retro Sound has vintage looking radios with modern features, so that would be an option. Otherwise you could find a period radio you like and add USB connection and/or Bluetooth with an under dash module. My daughter also used for a time an external connection to her cell that worked by transmitting to an FM frequency at which you tuned the radio. No mods to the car.

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,762 Posts
Retro Sound has vintage looking radios with modern features, so that would be an option. Otherwise you could find a period radio you like and add USB connection and/or Bluetooth with an under dash module.
Yup, those are the two basic alternatives. Each have their pros and cons:

- In my opinion, the Retro Sound radios don't really look all that vintage. But I'm sure their sound quality is great, they have all the features and don't require you to hack a big hole in your dash.

- I have a vintage Becker Europa II in my '70 BMW. It looks great, but you would never confuse the sound quality with even a cheap, modern radio. Also it's monaural. I sent it back to Becker USA last year for an overhaul and to add a Bluetooth module. The overhaul improved the radio reception (less static) and yes it now has Bluetooth, but it would't begin to satisfy a true audiophile.

·
2,615 Posts
Retro Sound has a variety of face plates and knobs available. Of course, you have to live with the LED display which is definitely not 1969.

It has a very compact size, and can be installed in many places where a regular radio wouldn't fit. Here is a Retro Sound installed in the very non standard radio aperture of a Citroen DS, with a third party's face plate. Note the printed quadrant that hides the LED display when it's turned off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.