Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 88 Milano Verde, and I am slowly fixing all of the small problems.

Does anyone know how to re-enter a code in the Alfa radio?

I took the radio out to fix the cassette deck and put it back and entered an erroneous code for it. I have the correct code number, I just do not know how to erase the current one and input the correct code. I did not get a maual with the car on the radio so any help would be appreciated.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
To reset the radio after entering an incorrect code you press and hold the "BND" button until the incorrect numbers dissapear.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Need radio help please

Just obtained a factory radio cassette (not the original unfortunately) and removed the aftermarket stereo. I had to rework the original harness connectors to restore power to the unit. I have lighting and a flashing code alert lamp, but no digital display in the lower left window. I tried entering the code given to me by the seller of the radio per the owner's manual but it has no affect. No display, no change in the flashing lamp. The owner's manual reads as if you should see the numbers on the display as you press the buttons. Is the display supposed to be present if power is present, or does the display come alive after the correct code is entered? Does the display have a discrete power lead? If I have power to the backlighting and a flashing alert lamp should the digital display be present?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Jim,

There is only 1 constant power supply and 1 switched power supply to the radio.

To me it sounds like you have everything wired correctly but the radio is waiting for the code. I remember the display being "dim" until the code is entered, then going to full brightness. Have you tried holding down the "BND" button to make sure an incorrect code is not stored?

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Joe,
Yes I have held the BND button down and it clears the flashing security lamp. There is no display at all, even in the dimmest lighting. I am in the process of contacting Ruth Ann at Alfa Parts and confirming the security code for this radio against the one given me by the eBay seller. BTW, thanks for wiring diagram, that's a big help!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
OK, obtained the correct code from Alfa Parts (Thanks Ruth Ann, you'll get my next order!) and entered it, to no avail. I'll recheck the power connections, but if I have lighting I have power. Me thinks I've been eBayed on this radio :(
I will never buy anything from eBay from a third party seller again.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Jim,

If the radio you have is DOA I have a good one that I will send to you. Was working perfectly in my car until I replaced in this A.M.

Joe

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Jim,

One more thought - I've looked at a couple of radio wiring harnesses and the Red and Yellow wires are not always in the same place in the plastic connector. So, you should check to make sure the wires coming from the car going to those points in the connector actually are Constant Power and Switched Power.

Joe

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Jim,

Yes, I'll send the radio out to you on Monday.

Joe

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Thanks! Still no display and now I can't even get a flashing security lamp on this one anymore, only backlighting. I sent an email to the seller and asked how was it they checked the radio as working prior to sale (as advertised) without the correct security code, I recevied no answer and probably never will.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 89 Spider Veloce. Thanks for the BND tip. Cleared my code and radio now works.. Much Thanks.
The strange thing is my buttons are marked 1 3 2
4 6 5 I had to ignore the layout as the 3 is really a 2 and the two is really a 3
Same with the 6 and five. Do you think they were switched or are they all like that?
Thanks again,
Francipio

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was able to relocate buttons to the correct positions. Still wondering what the SAM and PS buttons are for? Anyone know how to save radio stations? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any explanation of the APC MTL and OO buttons would also be helpful. (There is no User Manual available to my knowledge). This is the 6390 or PU-9165A currently in my 89 Veloce. Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
MTL is the setting for playback of "metal" (as opposed to ferric oxide or chromium dioxide based) cassettes. These were a type of high end tape from the '80s. It's somewhat uncommon to see one any more. The OO looks like it might be a Dolby noise reduction symbol. Used for most pre-recorded tapes to cut down tape hiss.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
APC is Auto Play Control: when active I think it automatically stops fast forward at the next song automatically when you hit the fast forward button.

Metal is for Type IV metal cassettes. They used a different metal formulation for the tape that had a different frequency response.

The OO is actually the Dolby symbol: that's for Dolby noise reduction. It reduces tape hiss on cassettes.

All of those can only be activated when you're playing a cassette.

And now I feel old, thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts