Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had an electric radio antenna before. Is the antenna supposed to extend when the radio is turned on or is there a seperate switch? The antenna in my "new" GTV does not extend when the radio is switched on. The motor is seperate from the antenna.

The original Blaupunkt radio works in FM (when my wife touches the non-extending antenna) mode but not AM. Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
554 Posts
What exact Blau model you have? Normally, all of the period Blaus had in their rear panel a special power output to feed the power antenna, not need to add any extra switch.
When your wife touches the antenna her body is changing the... hidden antenna's inductance and actually your wife becomes ..an antenna! So, because it is not so convenience to have the wife hanging from the antenna while cornering just try these:
1. find a way to check if the special +12VDC output from the Blau's rear panel really gives the power when you activate the radio, means must give the voltage AFTER you turn on the radio. If not, there is a problem INSIDE the radio. If gives the voltage, see if THERE IS any cable connected with this output. If not use a good multicore wire all the way from there to the antenna.
If yes, there is a wire connected, see first if someone had connected a fuse in the line. Then check the fuse if it is blown.
2. If finally the wire exists till the trunk , go at the trunk and locate that cable and see if the voltage is ok and most of all, if the wire is somehow connected to the antenna's motor ( see also if the above fuse holder is there and not under the dash!).
3. Maybe, the most common and the easiest for you.. Is the antenna's body right grounded? If not, the antenna can not be working anyway! So pick up any wire and ground the antenna body with a good chassis clear metal.

If none of the above will not solve the problem, and although antenna is feeding with the proper voltage but you hear some "tick-tick" noises, buy a new one or a good used power antenna

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Vangelislaz:

The radio is a Blaupunkt Autoradio Frankfurt US 7639670 with AM and FM pushbuttons. It is the original.

I found a switch under the dash that operates the antenna. Ooops.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Are you sure there isn't any power output for the antenna feeding behind the radio? must be one, right next to the power input! And must be power on when you turn on the main front volume switch. Perhaps, something is wrong there and someone put an extra switch for the job? Go back at the trunk find the 2 wires feeding the power antenna, one must be the ground (check if it grounds correct) the other is the positive (+) wire. It is easy to find a power wire in there e.g from the rear lights or from the gas tank sender unit, so connect that + antenna's wire to one of these sources. That way you are going to find if the power antenna works by itself. Can you post a photo of the radio's rear?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a switch under the dash that someone added which operates the antenna. It works fine. I talked to the good folks at Centerline while there on Friday. Joe mentioned that I can send the radio to Blaupunkt US for repair. For an extra $50 I can also have a circuit board added that will allow for XM and iPod use. That's what I will do. Thanks for the great help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Vangelislaz
I`m looking for the original auto radio for a GTV 2000 1972. Do you have any hint to help me finding it? Thank you very much
Sergio

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
smarchi, If ANYONE can find one; it would be him. I've dealt with him AND have bought MANY things from him (including an 'original' radio for my '71GTV.). He has SO MANY
'NOS' parts; it'd make your head spin...........Ed K.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Original GTV radio

smarchi, If ANYONE can find one; it would be him. I've dealt with him AND have bought MANY things from him (including an 'original' radio for my '71GTV.). He has SO MANY
'NOS' parts; it'd make your head spin...........Ed K.
Hi, eight-o-one
I'm looking for an original 1972 GTV 2000. I believe it's a Blaupunkt Frankfurt, but I'm not sure. Do you have any hint where to find a good one?
Thank you very nuch

Sergio

1 - 8 of 8 Posts