Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the radiator today to replace all the hoses and do a general refurbish. I don't think I have any leaks. Should I get it tested and get a "tune up"?

What do I ask for? What kind of place should I be looking for? What should I expect to pay?

I see phrases like boil it, re-core, rodded, combed the fins, reverse flush.

I have seen pics on the forum where they got it freshened up. Do they paint it also? They look new.

·
Administrator
17,065 Posts
"Boiling" is usually a soak/flush with caustic solutions. "Rodding" is opening up the radiator to physically scrape the inside of the core. "Re-core" is replacing the core (the part with all the fins). They do usually slap on some cheap black paint.

You can reverse flush at home. It will help flush out any loose debris. You can buy chemicals that you put into the cooling system then run the engine for either 10-20 minutes or a day or two then flush with water. But these chemicals are not as potent as the stuff a radiator shop might use. If the system has been well maintained - fresh coolant & flushed every few years and hasn't been leaking - then a home treatment & reverse flush is likely all it needs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts