Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if there is a peice missing or not on the drivers side of this photograph. I am thinking there is a plastic part that goes over the right side of the photograph to help direct air over the condensor/radiator. If there is, someone show me what a complete radiator shroud should look like so I can source parts. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I think the manual calls the plastic fairings at left/right "air conveyors." They are held on by tabs at top/bottom, and by a single Phillips screw attaching the plastic to the front of the car underneath the headlight rubber gasket about 1"-2" (a few cm) up from the bumper. Is this what Christopher is asking about?

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Alfadoc 164 picture is missing L/H plastic fairing 60509804 aka conveyor (right in picture) next to left hand drive (LHD) driver's side headlight.

This has usually been removed on 24v to get air flow to keep ignition modules cooler I am told.

Red 164 has center rubber fairing 60509727 above radiator missing.

FYI R/H plastic fairing (left in picture) not missing in pictures is 60509805.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Probably the result of the "Fixing Screws" coming loose. :D

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The shroud is the for the 12V models as the radiator cooling fins do not extend beyond the condenser. The 24V, I believe do not have this shroud as the its radiator extend a few inches beyond the condenser.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Alfadoc 164 picture is missing L/H plastic fairing 60509804 aka conveyor (right in picture) next to left hand drive (LHD) driver's side headlight.

This has usually been removed on 24v to get air flow to keep ignition modules cooler I am told.
Yes, this is what I have concluded! You'll find most 24V's do not have that piece and I think if it has one then most likely it was added by somebody. My LS didn't had one when I bought it. I actually ordered one and installed it. The car later had one of the ignition module failed - don't know whether it was related but I'm sure that cover may have contributed to that. That's why I concluded that the piece was missing for one reason - to allow more air flow to the ignition modules and lower the temperature in that area. I probably will put the cover piece on for winter months just to keep out dirts and perhaps freezing wind chill on the highway. But I believe it is a good idea to keep that cover off for the hot summer months.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah ha! Now if I hadn't asked the question, someone would have gotten dinged at a concourse for not having a shroud. :) Now we know why the 24v do not have one. Yes, the radiator does extend past the a/c condensor just by a couple of inches. I like the appearance of the shroud on the drivers side. I never had one, so I was thinking I was missing one. Thank you to all that replied. Does anyone have a shroud they can spare?

·
Premium Member
15,559 Posts
You can get these pieces for the 24v, as, before I found out that most people think the ignition modules could overheat, I ordered and bought a replacement for the one which was missing from my 94LS.

I still don't know if the modules can overheat, but I removed that shroud piece since the car cooling system works just fine in all temps without it. My feeling is that having the modules overheat would be more of a problem than a warm cooling system in very hot climes. Looks a little crude, but I'd advise running without the shroud, just to be sure. Esp if you live in a place like Redding, which can get really hot in the summer, right?

The caveat: The shroud helps shield the modules and their connections from the onslaught of rainwater and road dirt. So, if you run without this shroud, be sure to clean the connections with electronics cleaner, and reassemble with LOTS of dielectric grease. Otherwise, I found that you can get intermittent ignition hesitations which can drive you a little nuts.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
The 24v does come with both L/R conveyor fairings and rubber fairing in the middle same as 12v so if Concours, etc., is your thing order one from Jason or Difatta or whomever is your parts supplier.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just thinking how nice it would look for concours even if it isn't supposed to have one. It is having that look of being complete. Put it on for concours and take it off to drive home. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts