Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my radiator recently and sent it along with a spare from a 74 to the shop . My 71 radiator was leaking. They came back from the shop and when tested the 74 rad was good Went install it yesterday and it is a slightly different size My 71 is shorter as can be seen in the photo. The filler neck is also tilted up rather than flat. The thing that worries me is that when looking for a replacement the replacements are listed as 69-84. That obviously not the case here. I will be returning my 71 rad to the shop to see if it can be repaired. Has anyone else had this issue?
Automotive radiator part Rectangle Gas Wood Audio equipment

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Its quite obvious in the photo that the one on the left is in its original dimensional state, original type core and looks correct. The one on the right has been recored, and when it was done whoever did it did not take note to maintain the original dimensions. I would not use the one on the right, you will have other issues, such as fan hitting the shroud (if you are using one) and the hoses will not sit correctly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its quite obvious in the photo that the one on the left is in its original dimensional state, original type core and looks correct. The one on the right has been recored, and when it was done whoever did it did not take note to maintain the original dimensions. I would not use the one on the right, you will have other issues, such as fan hitting the shroud (if you are using one) and the hoses will not sit correctly.
I’ll bet you are correct. I called the radiator shop back and I will be dropping my 71 off. I don’t know anything about rads but I’m hoping they can “recore” my original. I never thought about the 74 having been altered. I would expect that if that is correct then I should be able to replace mine with an aftermarket rad without worry.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have confirmed you are correct. Looking at the 74 rad I see where the 1/2” difference came from

Attachments

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Yes, shows "extra" material top and bottom.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
was that 74 rad ever fitted to a 74...or did it come from a 74 and then was recored, then never fitted back...?
I can imagine that extra height would leave a nice impression under the hood of the filler neck

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was installed in the 74 but I have no idea how. I bought a new rad from centerline. Was cheaper than a new core for my original 71 rad. Core $350 plus labor. Centerline $339. I think someone with skill could shorten the core on the 74 and have a good rad but I don’t have that skill set. I would send it to anyone who wants to try for the price of the shipping. When I get a little time I’ll list it on the forum and find a home for it

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
The 74 rad top tank is actually the top tank for the 69 to 71's. You can tell by the stud. The fan shrouds even had a extra hole for it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 74 rad top tank is actually the top tank for the 69 to 71's. You can tell by the stud. The fan shrouds even had a extra hole for it.
That’s interesting. The original 71 rad which is on the left in the photo doesn’t have the stud. I received and installed the replacement from centerline. There are a couple of differences between it and the original but nothing major. The fitting that attaches to the tube going to the overflow tank if in the opposite side of the filler neck. there is also a large brass plug at the bottom of the rad on the drivers side. This is obviously for some other series. Neither effected the fit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts