Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh... really stupid question here... how can I check the coolant level of my '84 Spider? If low, how much do you add to it (yes, I will need to flush and refill when I get the time, but for now just want to ensure I have enough anti-freeze in it)... also, if I find it is low... I have a bottle of this 50/50 Anti-Freeze Coolant... can I just top off with that for now? Not sure what is in there now... don't "think" it would matter though?

Lastly... the overflow hose... where should it be pointing? I have A/C and really don't think it should be pointing at the Compressor (seems where it now is).

Today's will only hit about 108 in Phoenix...

Thanks - as always. Did a Search on Radiator... came back with over 500 hits... looked at a bunch and did not see one yet addressing my dumb question... but sorry if already addressed elsewhere.

Ron F.
-------

·
Registered
125 Posts
You should have min and max levels on the plastic coolant reservoir bottle at the front of the engine compartment on the passenger side. The bottle gets dirty and it can be a little hard to read. So you sometimes have to open the cap and try to read from the inside. That reservoir is where you should be adding coolant, not directly into the radiator itself.

Not sure if I understood correctly about the coolant you have on hand. Is it the 50/50 anti-freeze/water pre-mixed stuff that you can get at the auto store? If so, you can add that directly. If it is straight antifreeze you should dilute it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup - 50/50 is to have no water added...

Now, regarding the overflow tank... meant to add "mine does not have one"... all I have is the radiator cap to remove... but, because the throat is at almost a 90 degree angle... can't see anything when looking in.... can I/should I just add the 50/50 (when cold of course) to the throat and fill until I see it (pretty much to the top)?

Thanks again... right now I have no idea as to how much I have in there, sigh. :confused:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ron - You've got it. Just add your 50/50 mix slowly until it fills. Cap back on & you're good to go. If the rad. is very low, you may have to bleed system to get any air bubbles out of the cooling system. Good luck.

Re: the overflow hose - re-route it so it points down & not towards any components.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okeedokee... car is cold now... will add the mixture shortly, until she runs out the top pretty much right... can't overfill? Feel like such an egghead not being sure on this... would just hate to add too much and have my engine fall out in the middle of the road. May do that anyways... I added oil earlier. (-; (-; (-;

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
Now, regarding the overflow tank... meant to add "mine does not have one"...
Why not? They're fairly essential. Did you or the P.O. remove it?

More accurately they should be called "expansion tanks" not "overflow tanks". When the coolant heats up it expands and fluid is pushed into the overflow tank. When it cools and contracts, the fluid is drawn back into the radiator.

Without an expansion tank, the coolant pushed out the overflow hose will be lost and you will then be low on coolant when it cools down and contracts.

Joe

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Twasn't me that removed it... PO did I guess... now that I think more about this... seems I need to get one. Reckon that's next on the list... IAP here I come... good point about the purpose it serves... :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts