Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Right after getting my spider back from it $800 smog check. I did a 100 plus miles spirited drive. I open the hood to check the oil and I saw a little green drop of radiator fluid. I have done another 200 mile drive. It was just damp. Yesterday round trip to work no moisture. As you can see in the photo it looks like the leak is coming from the side of the filler neck.

Here is the question... how to repair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,015 Posts
Find Ye Olde Fashioned Radiator Repair Shoppe (usually on the wrong side of the tracks in a medium size city). The Alfa radiator is soldered together. It is a dying art & skill but easy for an old timer to repair.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find Ye Olde Fashioned Radiator Repair Shoppe (usually on the wrong side of the tracks in a medium size city). The Alfa radiator is soldered together. It is a dying art & skill but easy for an old timer to repair.
I was hoping to have the repair with the radiator inside the car still.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,509 Posts
You'll probably have to take it out of the car to do it right, At minimum you'll need to drain it.

Looks like it's been soldered before. Were it me I'd consider the overall condition of the radiator and whether it were worth fixing, or if I should just replace it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll probably have to take it out of the car to do it right, At minimum you'll need to drain it.

Looks like it's been soldered before. Were it me I'd consider the overall condition of the radiator and whether it were worth fixing, or if I should just replace it.
Understand your thought. Daily City has a radiator shop. I think it is the only one still in Business.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I resurrected our Spider I took the radiator to a repair shop. (they mostly worked on big trucks - most cars now have throw-away radiators) The guy there said the Alfa radiator was very well made and worth repairing.
Good and bad news first the bad news the radiator shop that was 10 minutes away from my house I’m pretty sure the man that was running that business retired and close the business. The good news is about 40 minutes away there’s another shop says that be more and happy to recondition my radiator. So it looks like tomorrow Sunday I’ll be taking Out my radiator to have it repaired. I agree that repairing an Alfa Romeo radiator that fits the car well it’s better than buying a replacement.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote: "Right after getting my spider back from it $800 smog check. I did a 100 plus miles spirited drive...."

Can anyone tell those of us that don't enjoy life in the wild west, why in the H#%l does it costs this kind of money to get to drive your old car in the wonderful state that has an ex governor that is known as the Govanator?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I think Ken's car had an PO that got it tagged as a gross polluter. After that the state rapes you every 2 years. I am not sure if you can ever get your car taken off that list....

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Ken's car had an PO that got it tagged as a gross polluter. After that the state rapes you every 2 years. I am not sure if you can ever get your car taken off that list....
Yeah I think my car is on the for ever list as a gross polluter. It was the Catalytic converter that cost so much money to get my car to pass smog.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Ken:

Before taking your radiator to the shop, remove the rubber "saddle" from its base - it just presses on. That's the part visible on the right side of the photo below, centered vertically. Also the two rubber "top hat" isolating mounts in the mounting "ears" at the top/sides of the radiator. The shop will no doubt lose these parts. Replacements are available, buy if your's look OK, why bother?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ken:

Before taking your radiator to the shop, remove the rubber "saddle" from its base - it just presses on. That's the part visible on the right side of the photo below, centered vertically. Also the two rubber "top hat" isolating mounts in the mounting "ears" at the top/sides of the radiator. The shop will no doubt lose these parts. Replacements are available, buy if your's look OK, why bother?

Thank you will do

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
A good radiator shop will check the core, flush it, pressure test it, and it will be as good as new.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A good radiator shop will check the core, flush it, pressure test it, and it will be as good as new.
I agree over all the radiator looks to be in good shape. It is the neck that has the cracks in it. I could only see the crack after zooming in with the camera.
Here is the were modern Technology really helps. I was able to text the guy at the radiator shop a photo of the crack filler neck while we were on the phone. He quoted me $60.00 to remove the next and re solder it. Then he will flush it and pressure check.

The Alfa Romeo Association of Northern California has the Spring Fling run on March 15. I want to insure my car is ready for a really fun day.

Fun fact I am 58 years old and those red drive up ramps have been in my family since I was a child.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
He quoted me $60.00 to remove the next and re solder it. Then he will flush it and pressure check.
Boy, that sounds like a great deal. You might also have the shop verify that the core is OK - that it flows coolant at an acceptable rate. If a PO filled it with tap water, instead of DI water, the radiator can get mineral deposits that impede flow, making it cool less efficiently.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
I would go ahead and have them rod it out. It will be a little more expensive. But might save you another trip in a few years.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boy, that sounds like a great deal. You might also have the shop verify that the core is OK - that it flows coolant at an acceptable rate. If a PO filled it with tap water, instead of DI water, the radiator can get mineral deposits that impede flow, making it cool less efficiently.
Good advice what is the rate flow and how do you test it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would go ahead and have them rod it out. It will be a little more expensive. But might save you another trip in a few years.
Thanks for a advice - this the first time I have heard the expression (rod it out) when referring to a radiator health check?

Yes I do not to pull the radiator out again for a while. My water pump and front main seal, fan and fan belt is new.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts