Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So am in the process of getting back to the valve-adjustment, and leaning over I find I also need a new fan.... (see pic). I knew I heard 'something' toward the end of last season. No hood or rad damage that I could ascertain. I did check the fan visually then, but I suppose the missing link/blade was at the bottom. Looks like it was a couple of revolutions from completely disintegrating altogether.

Question is, I've seen reference to the Euro (thin blade) fans that IAP sells, and wonder what, if any, benefit they are relative to the stock ones. Is it just that they provide less resistance owing to the thinner blades, and attendant noise reduction and the ever elusive power increase...? :cool: Is there a problem with less air being pulled with the thinner blades? I've my fingers on the IAP website, and am keen to order....

Thanks!

Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you search the forum, you find quite a few posts regarding the euro vs. us fan blade types. If memory serves me well, the euro fan does not move as much air due to the smaller size. Since I live in AZ, I need as much air movement to keep the car as cool as possible. That means that I stayed with the us fan, not the euro.

It looks like you just dodged a bullet... that's one nasty fan. :)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The really short of it:
U.S. spec fan good for hot enviornments and lots of traffic type driving. Slightly louder at highway speeds.
Euro spec good for cooler enviornments and touring w/o a lot of stop and go. Slightly quieter at highway speeds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts