Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was replacing the radiator on my 87 S3 and while everything was nice to get it out the surprise is that the new radiator seems to be off in regard to its total dimensions. I got one from Vick Autosport and while it seem to be the right one it is roughly 5mm smaller over its width since the pitch of two screws (and also the overall radiator body width) that hold it to the frame are closer to each other than on my old one.
Also the inlet pipe down at the bottom sits lowerin relation to the bottom pan of the radiator than on the old one since this pipe gets caught up on the rounded out bar profile that holds the radiator in place where the old one had clearance at the bottom, so it would never sit level with the new one.
Is it possible that the tolerances on the after market radiators are not what they were once?
Another thing is that the stubby pipe where the overflow bottle would go is pointing to the driver side instead of the passenger side. Maybe I got a wrong one? How is your experience with these?

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Unfortunately that is par for the course for parts from Vick

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
877 Posts
Dont bother with Vick. They are cheap in more ways than one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vick might be cheap but the motor mount that I also changed was ok so it might be maybe really just the radiator.
Will need to call them up tomorrow and see how I can return it. I might check out performance radiators here in Mesa/Tempe

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Vick's have been around a long time, I bet they will make good on your radiator. However, I have not had the best luck with them

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought one from Classic Alfa. Not exactly like the original either, the pipe at the bottom was off. It hit my AC Compressor, pipe up top was at the wrong end, leaked like a sieve. I had to spend some money to get it right. Vicks was out at the time that I bought mine.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a 1975 Honda Goldwing and I was not able to purchase a new radiator. I think you call the top and bottom pieces tanks. The radiator shop soldered the two tanks to new core. I had a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
877 Posts
You and Ed have it right. Just have your existing one recored, they may even be able to put a few more passes in it for added cooling.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought an aluminum 'Texas Heat' radiator from Vicks last year. Besides the overflow on the wrong side - not a big deal by itself - it was taller and thinner than the original. Since the inlet fouled the lower cross frame, I had to lean it back slightly to clear the hood. The welds were ugh-lee - eyesore-quality - and it looked like the bodge it was, installed crooked. The clincher was that an electric fan wouldn't fit because of the required layback installation.

Vicks totally ignored an emailed explanation with photos to their customer service department, and Vick's owner (he's posted on this board) flat ignored a PM I sent him direct, also with thorough explanation and photos. I threw away their radiator and will never buy another Vicks product.

David O'D
Laguna CA

·
Registered
204 Posts
Geez, If I was this Vick bloke, id be taking note of all this. I cant see one positive comment about that business. How can all these radiators be so far off the mark from the original! Havent they heard of a jig? It isnt rocket science..

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Geez, If I was this Vick bloke, id be taking note of all this. I cant see one positive comment about that business. How can all these radiators be so far off the mark from the original! Havent they heard of a jig? It isnt rocket science..
True, true and true.

Business is "customer service", meaning to serve

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Since earlier spiders have the overflow bottle on the drivers' side, Vicks has a 'one size fits all' situation. The problem is that when you loop the overflow hose around, it can get caught in the engine driven fan, which mine did repeatedly. Motor mounts are cheese from more than one vendor. Mine, after 1 year, allowed my engine to move enough to smack the engine driven fan on the cross brace the fan sits above, shearing it's blades. I have an electric fan now...not going through that crap any more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought pretty much from all vendors and so far none satisfied my expectancy. They all are cheap aftermarket units. I had some leaking right out of the box and complained to the vendors.
Jon Norman warned me right away about the aftermarket units.
Since I try to use the original one and have the unit recored or otherwise repaired. Not worth the trouble for my business to go through anymore. Quality comes with a price.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As I said above, I threw away the Vicks aluminum radiator, reinstalled the original brass one, and switched the pulley fan out for a SPAL unit. Altogether much better.

Maybe the Classic Alfa aluminum radiator would have fit, but that's +/- $1,000!

David O'D
Laguna CA

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
I have an aluminum cross flow radiator from Wes Ingram that was made in Tennessee and was recommended by Conedriver. It is very well made and cools much better than a stock radiator. The fit is not exactly the same as stock and the top hose needed some work. The cost is about $650. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I complained to Vic about the the radiator they sent me not being the correct one for the 86 Spider. They argued with me that it was and would not agree to take it back. Being stuck with a radiator I couldn't use, I had a local radiator shop weld the Vics radiator core in place of my original radiator core. I will not ever buy from them again. Buyers beware!

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
877 Posts
I had issues with VickAuto a few months ago. Refuse to buy from them again. Not only are their products junk, their customer service is even worse. They had the nerve to send me a Christmas wreath. I burned it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts