Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Rack on ??

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  spydaman 
#1 ·
Has anybody put a rack and pinion on a 105, and if so what rack was used, and how many mods needed to be completed to make it work. Thanks John

#2 ·
I helped put an Alfetta rack on a 105 1750 Spider that we put a V6 in, as a LeMons car. A very modified, mangled car. We welded mounting tabs onto the bottom rear of the main crossmember to attach it. Had to combine the stock steering column with the shaft off the Alfetta rack.
With a stock four cylinder in place I don't know how the fit would be but we had a combined V6 top/105 bottom oil pan from APE here in Calif. APE headers too. Everything was a very tight fit.
Andrew

#3 ·
Hi Andrew thanks for the reply .Do you remember if it had any bump steer.I understand how to set up steering to overcome that problem just wondering how your's went. Regards John

#6 ·
I used a Alfetta rack in the "Coupe" with the Montreal engine that was moved rearward. The rack housing had to be cut and shortened as did the rack itself, along with a end plate raising the steering joint upwards so the pick up point was correct for the angle and chassis mount position of the upper & lower "A" arms. The link between the rack and the steering arm on the spindle upright`s angle and length is critical to eliminating bump steer. The length of the steering arm on a 105 is short compared to those on Alfetta/Milano/GTV6. The result of the fast rack rate and short arm is a frightingly fast steering response. Less than a 1/4 turn of the steering wheel is a 90 degree turn!
Before the next race with that car I`m going to lengthen the steering arms.

You need to get Carrol Smith`s Book "Tune to Win" and study suspension and steering design thoroughly before attempting it.

#7 ·
Thank you all for the replies . I'm considering putting a quad cam Busso 2.5 in a Berlina so I need all the room I can get. Regards John ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.