Alfa Romeo Forums banner
161 - 180 of 210 Posts
Discussion starter · #162 ·
Chris, sent you a message :)

Wrapping up the hood and such: moving blanket for safety during the hood mounting.

Meatball finally received a deserved set of NOS yellow Cibie CSR lamps to replace the clear ones. I paired them with a set of yellow Cibie driving beam lamps for the high beams. I think it looks pretty good with the red/yellow. And, as was visible above but not called out, I swapped on a set of beautiful 16" 5x98 Tecnomagnesio Sport wheels from an old friend. I have a set of 15" OZ awaiting tires that may be a bit more comfortable on the street, but the 16" look great. I'm working on a set of proper center caps for these 16" Tecnos, maybe with a custom logo.

At this point I have several hundred miles on the rebuild and update and the first oil change suggests things are going nicely. The car is driving beautifully, and the engine is noticeably smoother and torquier than before, which I like. Once I have a comfortable amount of use on the engine, I plan to put the car on a dyno and see how things turned out. The 24V stablemate (pictured) is supposed to go to the dyno also.

On a car like this, the project is never really finished. The plan for now is to keep it tucked in for winter, then to drive it as often as I can this spring, wrap up the power steering lines and install, and consider a road trip for the nicer weather part of 2021.

Attachments

Great work Rob. Bravo. Your attention to detail is amazing.

Just terrific photos, Rob. I could just stare and stare at them. Hey, those Euro bumpers sure look good on the stock GTV 6 there! This has got to be the ultimate "While I'm in there, I might as well..." project!

Just terrific photos, Rob. I could just stare and stare at them. Hey, those Euro bumpers sure look good on the stock GTV 6 there! This has got to be the ultimate "While I'm in there, I might as well..." project!
Lol, yes, the "stock" GTV6 ;)

This is a spectacular vehicle. I believe it was Enzo Ferrari who once said:
We love the subs! ‘Cuz they are good to us. The Quiznos subs. They are tasty, they are crunchy, they are warm because they toast them. They got a pepper bar!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Yeah, I reckon "Rob" and "stock" are mutually exclusive terms. You know, one of these days when we're up your way, I wouldn't turn down a ride in Meatball, Rob.

Chris, sent you a message :)

Wrapping up the hood and such: moving blanket for safety during the hood mounting.

Meatball finally received a deserved set of NOS yellow Cibie CSR lamps to replace the clear ones. I paired them with a set of yellow Cibie driving beam lamps for the high beams. I think it looks pretty good with the red/yellow. And, as was visible above but not called out, I swapped on a set of beautiful 16" 5x98 Tecnomagnesio Sport wheels from an old friend. I have a set of 15" OZ awaiting tires that may be a bit more comfortable on the street, but the 16" look great. I'm working on a set of proper center caps for these 16" Tecnos, maybe with a custom logo.

At this point I have several hundred miles on the rebuild and update and the first oil change suggests things are going nicely. The car is driving beautifully, and the engine is noticeably smoother and torquier than before, which I like. Once I have a comfortable amount of use on the engine, I plan to put the car on a dyno and see how things turned out. The 24V stablemate (pictured) is supposed to go to the dyno also.

On a car like this, the project is never really finished. The plan for now is to keep it tucked in for winter, then to drive it as often as I can this spring, wrap up the power steering lines and install, and consider a road trip for the nicer weather part of 2021.
Ooooh , claddless plastic alfetta body sure is pretty. Go whole hog and do the front valance and flush turn signals as well? 😊.

Love to have an chrome bumper Alfetta GT someday. 79 sprint veloce was my first alfa in high school, it was near mint in 84 when I bought it.

You be at the Guigaro-ital thing sat? Of course you know bob and ruzzin are speaking. Hope to see ya there or the happening

ciao

No modifications need as mentioned earlier. The original smaller lamp cut outs are still in the body hidden behind those ginormous gtv6 tail lamps.

Alfetta housing and lens should just plop right in..
He mentions modifying the housings....

Most recent little project I did on the car was to finish the taillights. I modified GTV6 housings to fit Alfetta lenses to retain dual brake light bulbs. Stainless screws and black painted surrounds finished off the look. I really like the all-red look.

When I did mine with GTV6 housings and 'Fetta lenses I had to open up a couple of the holes in the housings for alignment - just a smidge. I also used some stainless screws and the plastic wing nuts to hold the 'Fetta lenses on - they don't have studs. This was all re-assembled Junk that I made work.

I went back to the GTV6 lenses when I restored the body. No issues reversing the procedure.

Discussion starter · #175 ·
Missed the Giugiaro event, sad. Would have loved to take this car. Don't plan on changing the front end because I like how it is. I do have a pair of NOS front integral lamp assemblies for a Euro Alfetta if I change my mind later though.

The GTV6 housings required to be drilled to match the Alfetta lenses I used. I don't recall which brand/type of the lenses I installed but they are obviously the US spec ones. I believe only a couple of the holes actually matched up and the rest required drilling. There are multiple versions of the Alfetta lenses so consider with your type before you start drilling.

I purchased the needed fasteners (stainless) to utilize the new holes. I installed new gaskets for the lenses; bought from Highwood.

Certain types of Alfetta assemblies can be used as plug and play if you have the rear lamp harness. At the time of install I didn't have a complete Alfetta graft "kit" and I wanted a redundant brake light in each housing so I stuck with the GTV6 units. I do have a pair of complete NOS Alfetta rear lamp assemblies in hiding, so maybe someday I'll pop those in there...

All cars should have the GTV6 rear lighting layout. It is right for safety:
  • Amber turn signal to differentiate from brake / tail lights
  • Double brake light bulbs, with one completely unique from the tail lights
  • Double tail light bulbs
This provides those following with the clearest, most accurate information.

I absolutely detest cars with red turn signal indicators stacked closely to a red tail light (got to have some separation) - even worse if the indicator also has a tail light function. The indicator is not visible enough. Single bulb tail / indicator (old school) work acceptably.

**** - I'm turning into a grumpy old guy! :)

Discussion starter · #178 ·
Meatball deserves a short update here. Tucked under cover for the winter.

I used to have some beautiful 16" Speedline Corse wheels fitted on this car. They had some cosmetic issues and expired tires. The wheels were custom ordered brand new a long time ago by a family friend and I felt they deserved a perfect restoration. I'm not sure he is on the BB but I hope he would be proud of the result. They turned out beautifully thanks to Dave @ Renewed.

These wheels never had center caps and I wasn't pleased with any of the existing options so I bought some generic blank caps. I traced a vintage Biscione in a basic design program and had some fun to modernize and simplify it for vinyl cutting. Semi-gloss black vinyl is laid over gloss white base. This matches the wheel/Speedline graphic well I think and the caps fit perfectly.

Not sure if these wheels will end up on Meatball or maybe something else, but at least they're ready...

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Hubcap Tread

Nice looking. I did the same 'cut vinyl graphics on a blank center cap' on both the wheels on Milo and the GTV6. Both have held up really well.

161 - 180 of 210 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.