Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a good racing suite for a good price. I don't want to spend $300 and get something that sucks. I'm willing to spend a bit more if the quality improvement is great....but then again I will only race 3-4 times a year.....so maybe I can put up with something acceptable...or..... :rolleyes:

Must be 2-layer nomex. I saw some racequip suites, are they good? Only $300.

·
Registered
35 Posts
suit

There's also an inexpensive suit on this sites' classifieds ;)

FWIW, don't skimp on a suit. The fact that you'll only race 3-4 times per year might reduce the chances of you being in a fire. However, if you are, the fire won't care whether it's your first time or your hundredth.

The fire also won't burn cooler just because you are a club racer or an open track participant. If anything, we have fewer corner workers, less prepared emergency workers and are farther from trauma care should we need it than any pro.

OMP, stand21, momo, sparco, simpson, bell-pyrotect, design500 all make good quality suits.

RacerWholesale's auto pros offer good protection for little cost, I know 2 people who bought these suits and bought another within 2 years of racing due to stitching failures.

check:

www.primmracing.com

Tell Dante that Daryl DeArman sent you.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! I've, on occasions, imported stuff from Demon Tweeks. I saw Sparco Sprint suites for $350, that sounds good. Either that or the racequip, which is just a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the link. :D

Zamani

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought a Momo Trophy suit (3 layer FIA approved) from Demon Tweeks (like to stick with the Italian manufacturers....) and it has been very comfortable and hard wearing so far for only around £170.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, what Daryl said......

All of what Daryl said is good info. To add to it, I think it is really important to try on suits before you order something on-line. All of these suits have odd sizing, and it would suck to get a suit that is just a little too tight in the crotch or the sleeves are just a bit too short. Also remember that unlike a shirt or pair of pants, this suit should last you for 10 years, so imagine what that beer gut will look like down the road, and buy accordingly.

I just bought a Sparco Sprint 5 suit. I looked at all of the stuff on-line, but finally went to Wine Country Motorsports (at Sears Point) and tried them on. They have racing seats in there, so I was able to sit as I would in a race car. As it turns out, I would have ordered the wrong size on-line. Sparco dealers aren't "allowed' to discount Sparco stuff, but I managed to get out the door for $387 includng tax (suit retails for $399). Plus I was supporting the "local guy".

Most blood banks will tell you your blood type if you donate blood. Having your name/blood type embroidered on your suit will cost $5. Not a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Yeah, what Daryl said......

argtv7 said:
Most blood banks will tell you your blood type if you donate blood. Having your name/blood type embroidered on your suit will cost $5. Not a bad idea.
What a grim but prudent afterthought!

Blood Type: O
Prefers buxom blonde nurses in thigh-high stockings

·
Registered
35 Posts
To add to Brad's comments.

I was very concerned about sizing. I had heard stories of 2-3 returns to get it right. OMP vs. Sparco vs. Stand 21 and inconsitant/inaccurate charts.

I bought an OMP Technica Color--$900 to $1000 at Sube/Pegasus/Driving Impressions. I really wanted to support the local guy but not at that cost...I saved more than $300 by purchasing it from Primm/DemonTweeks. Don't let the customs charges scare you. My suit and glove combination cost me $22.00 shipping/customs and no sales tax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts