Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 72 GTV leaks transmission fluid onto the clutch and out the bell housing only when driven on the track. This used to be just an annoying mess, but now causes the clutch to slip at higher rpm, since I put in an aluminum pressure plate. I used to run Swepco, but it does the same with Spirax.

The seal and the bell housing have both been replaced.

Anyone else have this problem, and, hopefully, a solution?

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
In '72 Alfa was still using the long shift rods in their transmissions. These are the ones that protrude through a hole in the bellhousing and are sealed by o-rings in the transmission case. These could be leaking transmission fluid into bell. As best as I can tell, they started using a sealed bellhousing with short shift rods around '74.

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill

I forgot to mention that the new bell housing is the late type. The leakage seems to be out past the shaft seal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
do you have a vent line installed in your tranny? Or just the breather tubes beside the gearstick?

·
Registered
268 Posts
make em yourself... I'll look for one in the shop this weekend, and post a pic...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks-- this is the kind of info I was looking for. I only have the factory vents. I suspected pressure buildup. I have tubes connected to the factory vents because I suspected that fluid was coming out there. I found that the fittings were restricting the vent area, so I changed the fittings so that the factory vent area was not restricted. I now recall that it did seem to reduce the size of the puddle under the bell housing after a session.

I assume this is a known issue then? Any info on suitable vent arrangement will be greatly appreciated!!

Ciao

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts