Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Spider stock SPICA
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
74 Spider - Question about removing and re-installing the rear axles:

I am doing a complete brake overhaul, including e-brakes, and I want to clean and paint the brake shields and clean up the backing plates. I see that to remove these I need to pull out the axle from the tube to remove the shields. If I don't re-do the wheel bearings, is it as simple as removing the axles and reinserting them carefully when finished? I'm hoping to do this without having to change out the seals. If I decide to do the bearings I will take the axles to a local shop.

Any tricks or tips I should know? Thanks in advance. -Rick

Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Rear bearings are pretty cheap. I replace em whenever there is any evidence of seal leakage. Seals are really, really cheap!

Reactions: otteud96

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
A rear bearing replacement job is pretty involved; look up the procedure in the shop manual, someone on the BB probably has easier access to a screenshot than I do. Unless you're comfortable with such an endeavor, I would leave it to the pros IMHO. @goats replaces them all the time, I'd ask him 😁

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,967 Posts
If I don't re-do the wheel bearings, is it as simple as removing the axles and reinserting them carefully when finished?
Yes. But don't expect to just pull out the axle & bearing with one hand after removing the four retaining nuts. The OD of the bearing can get glued to the ID of the differential tube from dried out oil & corrosion. You may need a slide hammer or some other medieval equipment to break them loose. Reassembly is simpler: as you tighten the nuts on the four retaining studs, the bearing will get pulled back into place.

I'm hoping to do this without having to change out the seals.
As others have written, replacing the seals is cheap and easy once the axles are out. Replacing the bearings - not so much. Others may disagree, but if the bearings don't feel crunchy, I wouldn't mess with them.

Reactions: jbbosco

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have everything on order already except the bearings and seals. My original intent was just to redo the brakes, but I'm one of those "while you have it apart" kind of people that I just can't help but re-do everything while I'm in there. I don't even know if the car runs yet (waiting on a gas tank), so I might be getting ahead of myself. But I thought since I had the time I would clean and paint everything to make it all look good. Time to make a decision...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did read in another thread that someone else put a wheel back on the hub with the nuts loose and used that as a slide hammer of sorts. If I run into trouble if I do decide to remove the axles, I will try that trick first. Seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know the correct part number for the rear wheel seal? I've looked at several of the vendor sites and they don't seem to list anything for the 72-74 spiders. What am I missing?

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,967 Posts
I did read in another thread that someone else put a wheel back on the hub with the nuts loose and used that as a slide hammer of sorts. If I run into trouble if I do decide to remove the axles, I will try that trick first. Seems reasonable to me.
Yea, that should work. But I wouldn't try that with both rear wheels off and the axle on stands. I'd leave one rear wheel on the ground before going "cave man" on the other side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts