Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a litte "issue" here removing the outer window weatherstrip/trim piece. The one that runs by the mirrors. We have the rear window strips replaced, and only lack the doors then we're finished with the rubber work.

Is there an internal retainer screw like on the rear trim piece, that fastens this piece to the door? Or is it all just clipped on? Don't want to remove the door panels right now unless it's necessary. I removed the mirrors thinking they were blocking it from coming off, but it still doesn't budge. Don't want to dent the door edge, either!

Thanks Alfisti...

·
Registered
405 Posts
They can be hard to remove

I pulled mine off to clean paint from a sloppy masking job and one came off easily but the other was tough. I used a small short screw driver and lifted up from the outer edge of the door. They are held on by metal clips that have barbs on the edge of the door as well as on the trim side.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Huh?
What model?
On the Alfetta, the outside window(door) wiper rubber is slid into a stainless steel trim piece that is held to the inner door skin with two rivets.
Door panel must come off, rivets drilled.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
The 86's were riveted on as well. All the coupe bodies in fact.

Front and rear are supposed to be riveted, if yours was not - it was likely removed previously or made it out of the factory without being riveted. I can't remember if I needed to remove the door glass or not to properly access. You're talking about the horizontal mounted stainless (painted black on GTV6) part that runs along the length of the glass, right?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am more curious about the rubber, did you say you replaced the strip? And if so where did you get it???

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, Rob-- the belt weatherstrip that rides against the glass inside and outside. Thanks muchissimo, man... I had a feeling something was retaining that piece because clips are going to pop off if you pry them hard enough. I think we can get access with the window all the way up, maybe, or down, since it seems to be held there near the quarter window post.

The rear strips were bolted in one place, just below the rear window and above the wheel hump.

And mz107, we got our rubber fillers from Highwood in England (Chris Sweetapple). But as I said Mr. Fiat also sells them, as do a couple other vendors IIRC. And yes, they do slide into the roll formed stainless steel profile piece. Slide out the old, slide in the new, but it's a lot easier if you lube them with water first before attempting to slide them through.

We had to replace all the rubber because the car had sat in the New Mexico sun for months... maybe years... and everything had shrunk about 3/4" per end. Inside and outside.

Thanks again, fellows. We're getting to know this car better and better as the restoration progresses! Working with my son Mike on his 6 has made me want one too! Let's see... black, with charcoal trim, tan interior, a warmed over 3 liter under the tea tray, cool wheels with sticky 205 tires, that great ANSA exhaust that was made for the Busso V6...

I'm easy to please!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts