Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfisti,
It seems that my brake master cylinder is leaking. I was taking a look at it and it seems really difficult to r and r. Those brake lines look almost impossible to get at with the tranny in the way. I'm sure that is not the case. Any tips and or photos kicking around that could help me would be appreciated.

Thanks, D

·
Premium Member
21,154 Posts
It's not a fun job. If you remove the several bolts that hold the pedal box to the floor, you can drop it down a bit to get at the brake pipes; there should be some slack in them. Use a good quality flare wrench to avoid rounding them off.
Or remove the two bolts that hold the MC to the pedal box, similarly drop it down as much as it'll go.
Andrew

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrew. I will take some pics and post it as a thread to help out others. It looks like a job that will have me really practising my Italian curses...

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
What I usually do is just crack all 4 lines loose while the master is still hard mounted to the car. Removing the exhaust support bracket from the back of the gearbox will get you a bit more swinging room. Once the lines are loose, I pull the 2 master mounting bolts to lower the cylinder then remove the lines all the way.

In order to avoid stripping any threads on reassembly, start all 4 lines by hand BEFORE bolting the master to the car.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
What I usually do is just crack all 4 lines loose while the master is still hard mounted to the car. Removing the exhaust support bracket from the back of the gearbox will get you a bit more swinging room. Once the lines are loose, I pull the 2 master mounting bolts to lower the cylinder then remove the lines all the way.

In order to avoid stripping any threads on reassembly, start all 4 lines by hand BEFORE bolting the master to the car.
Dittos, Papajam.

Removing the MC mounting bolts frees-up a lot of "swing room" for the wrenches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts