Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
R12 info

Federal law says us poor unlicensed common folk can not own/use/sell this stuff. The thinking is, that this gas (and R22) is depleting the ozone layer. (The ozone layer is coming back but that's a whole nother topic.)

At a donut shop many years I witnessed what looked to be a Drug sale. It turned out to be a guy with a truck full of 20lb tanks of R22.
Buy the time he unloaded three tanks out the back door, a car pulled up, money exchanged hands, tanks loaded in the car trunk, and the truck and car sped away. (Just like in the movies.) And yes there a number of Cops in the donut shop at the time... :oops:

The Florida plane crash was due to the transport of O2 (oxygen) canisters that were not empty. They are allowed to ship empty but not full. These were (they said mistakenly) thought to be empty but for what ever reason they self activated (some thing due to vibration ) and started a fire. It's normal for them to become very hot when activated. These are the canisters (located in the overhead) that are activated when the face mask comes down in front of you when cabin pressure is lost...

I was a Floridan at that time..

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
At a donut shop many years I witnessed what looked to be a Drug sale. It turned out to be a guy with a truck full of 20lb tanks of R22.
Buy the time he unloaded three tanks out the back door, a car pulled up, money exchanged hands, tanks loaded in the car trunk, and the truck and car sped away. (Just like in the movies.) And yes there a number of Cops in the donut shop at the time... :oops:
Great story!

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's very easy to get certified to buy R-12. I did this ten years ago when rebuilding a mid 60s MB system replacing the York with a Sanden.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You could try a Hydrocarbon refrigerant like HyChill Minus30, not sure what it may be marketed as in the USA. It is better suited to older R-12 systems and no licence required. I just re-gassed my 75TS/Milano with it and it works well. HyChill - Home

1 - 6 of 6 Posts