Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and searched. So I have to just ask.
Is there a difference between a Quadrifoglio Verde and a Verde?
My guess is that they are exactly the same. its just how you want to present it. if you need something specific. I'm thinking of a 1987 3.0 But don't think thats matters to tell you the truth.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
From Wiki:
Alfa Romeo 75 - Milano

Little blurb therein:
The European-spec 2.5 V6 (2.5 6V Iniezione or 2.5QV) was officially sold only between 1985 and 1987, although some of them were not registered until 1989. Relatively few of them were sold (about 2800 units), especially when the 155 PS (114 kW; 153 hp) 1.8 Turbo got launched, which in some countries was cheaper in taxes because of its lower displacement. To create a bigger space between the V6 and the inline fours, the 2.5 was bored out to 2959 cc's to deliver 188 PS (138 kW; 185 hp) and this new engine was introduced in the 3.0 America in 1987. As its type designation suggests, the 3.0 only came in the US-specification, with the impact-bumpers and in-boot fuel tank. However, the European 'America's' were not equipped with side-markers or the door, hood and trunk lid fortifications. Depending on the country of delivery, the 3.0 America could be equipped with a catalytic converter.
And here:
3.0 V6 QV @ 192 PS (141 kW) @ 5800 rpm and 250 N·m (184 ft·lbf) @ 3000 rpm (replacing existing 3.0, the motor from the 164 featuring a Motronic system as opposed to the earlier 3.0 V6-es which were equipped with the L-Jetronic. This model was known as the "Potenziata")

·
Registered
117 Posts
Basically a Milano Verde is a 75 America with recaro seats. A 75 QV is an evolution of the 75 America.

The most notable difference is the use of SZ cams and Bosch Motronic injection instead of L-jetronic giving it 192 hp instead of 185 hp for the catalyst equipped version of the America.

It also has a dark anthracite interior, a thicker front antiroll bar, a different exhaust tip, 15 inch teledial wheels (the same as used on later Milano Verdes).

I have the feeling that there are other changes to the suspension but cannot confirm this

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read all that on Wiki too. I know about the different levels such as silver, gold, platinum Maybe i need to rephrase the question.
Lets say I was at the LA Craigslist. I see a car advertised as a 1987 Quadrifoglio Milano Verde 3.0. Then I scroll down to another fellow and he has an advertisement for a 1987 Milano Verde 3.0. All I am asking is there such a thing as a Quadrifoglio Milano Verde AND a Milano Verde which would be two different kinds of Milanos or are they the exact same car and the owners are just using different names to help boost the sale. Is calling a verde a quadrifoglio the same as calling a Milano a sedan which is unnecessary because all milanos are sedans. So are all Verde's quadrifoglio s?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
In the US, all cars had a Quadrifoglio badge (argento,oro,platina,verde). So yes, in the US all 3.0s were QVs.

But for the rest of the world, our Quadrifoglio Verde was the 75 America. The 75 America then evolved into the QV or Potenziata (motronic, cams etc).

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think in your case it means the same thing as a normal Verde, except the owner is going to change more for it. lol

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
All I am asking is there such a thing as a Quadrifoglio Milano Verde AND a Milano Verde which would be two different kinds of Milanos or are they the exact same car and the owners are just using different names to help boost the sale.
These are all referring to the same car. In the USA, there was only 1 version of the Milano equipped with the 3.0 engine.

It was "officially" called the following by Alfa in their literature:

1987 model year: Milano Verde 3.0
1988 model year: Milano 3.0 Litre
1989 model year: Milano 3.0 Litre

Even though Alfa dropped the Verde nomenclature after 1987, it stuck and its usage continued; for example the window sticker from my 1989 car reads "1989 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 4-door".

Very rarely did you see Alfa use the "Quadrifoglio" in reference to the Milano trim levels in the USA. Perhaps they wanted to avoid confusion with the Quadrifoglio version of the Spider that was sold at the same time, or thought the name was long enough without it - especially compared to most European cars of the period which used alphanumeric names like 190E or 325is.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
The most notable difference is the use of SZ cams and Bosch Motronic injection instead of L-jetronic giving it 192 hp instead of 185 hp for the catalyst equipped version of the America.

It also has a dark anthracite interior, a thicker front antiroll bar, a different exhaust tip, 15 inch teledial wheels (the same as used on later Milano Verdes).

I have the feeling that there are other changes to the suspension but cannot confirm this
The 192 hp figure is incorrect because that is the figure for a stock cam 164 engine. Alfa didn't change the specs in the handbooks for the Potenziata and simply copied the 164 specs. With the hot cams they have to have more than that. The rev limiter is 1,000 rpm higher. Jim K says the engine is exactly the same as the SZ, minus the stainless steel headers. The Potenziata also has a 3.73 diff instead of 3.54. I own two of them, one of which is now a wreck.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
In the US, all cars had a Quadrifoglio badge (argento,oro,platina,verde). So yes, in the US all 3.0s were QVs
True and False. Verde means "green", and only the 3.0 had a green cloverleaf on the badge.

The only Alfa that bore the "Quadrifoglio" name in the U.S. was the '86-'89 Spider. The Quadrifoglio badge has it's heritage with their racing activities in pre-war cars. After that, it just seems to mean higher trim level. There were only aesthetic changes to the Quadrifoglio Spider. e.g. Body kit and hardtop, 15" phone dial wheels w/lower profile wider tires, grey leather interior with red stitching & red carpet. They were only available in silver, black, or red.

Anubody that calls their Milano (in the U.S.) a Quadrifoglio Verde is just embellishing. I'd say, pay more attention to condition of the car, not the name.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what i was thinking toonrboy. but i wasn't quite sure if i was missing something or not. like a special car or something. At lease I now know whats what.
One fella will sell his two door convertible and
another fella will sell his spyder coupe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts