Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used the QuickJack? With limited garage space they seem like they may be a suitable alternative to a 2 post that takes up a lot of room, plus they are portable...

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Yes -- I have the QuickJack 5000. I've been using it a fair amount and like it a lot. The downsides I'd say are: 1) It's barely long enough for a Super; I modified two of the rubber blocks to get another 1/2" of length and its OK now, but nothing to spare. Should be fine for GTV or Spider, but check the specs carefully against your car's dimensions. 2) It's great for working on the front or back ends of the car, not so much for working on the middle. (You have to creeper in from either end.) 3) As others have stated, quality control can be a little iffy. Mine had one hydraulic fitting that took two tries to get it to not leak, but otherwise no issues. I hear their customer support is good, on the other hand, but haven't needed to use it. Looks like Costco is marking an extra $200 off through tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the input! I am seriously considering on of these.... Costco, huh? Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Yup, Costco's offering it for a grand right now, which is well below list. The ordering and delivery process was painless for me, though that was pre-pandemic, I doubt it would be much different now. (This is isn't toilet paper or cat food.)

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That may just be on my list.... I saw them on Amazon but didnt say it was the "5000". I will Google that model....

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I had a two post at the last shop, but the wife was asking for a pistol permit at our former home. A great three story Victorian that we restored lovingly. Too many gangs, drug deals, basically in the hood. Best car shop ever, room for 10 cars, two post and just a great shop. We left there in 2015 and went to the burbs.
I opened up another location and recently added one of these 6000 Lb. Capacity Scissor Lift.

Been up and running now for a few months and followed a thread on a Porsche forum where several guys recessed the lift into the floor. I did not go that route, my stock '85 spider has enough ground clearance and works just fine. Mucho better than the floor jack/jack stands

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a two post at the last shop, but the wife was asking for a pistol permit at our former home. A great three story Victorian that we restored lovingly. Too many gangs, drug deals, basically in the hood. Best car shop ever, room for 10 cars, two post and just a great shop. We left there in 2015 and went to the burbs.
I opened up another location and recently added one of these 6000 Lb. Capacity Scissor Lift.

Been up and running now for a few months and followed a thread on a Porsche forum where several guys recessed the lift into the floor. I did not go that route, my stock '85 spider has enough ground clearance and works just fine. Mucho better than the floor jack/jack stands
That is one of my concerns, whether it would fit under my car. My floor jack barely fits under the chassis stiffener. With a full tank of gas, it won't. I like the scissor lift in that it gets the car off the ground more than 21" like the QuickJack. There are 2 post models that aren't a lot more than your scissor lift. I need to make a decision before tomorrow!

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Quickjack barely fit under my Spider with the lowering springs. Now back to stock, it's better, but I would suggest you drive in, slide the QJ under from the sides, versus driving over the quickjack. My exhaust seems to hang a bit low in the cat area, and it can grab onto the quickjack. Overall, it's very nice.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can fit a 2 post in my garage. I may have to think on this a bit...

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I can fit a 2 post in my garage. I may have to think on this a bit...
Big decision. I pondered a two post, but was not crazy about the floor space it took up. The HF scissors lift can be easily moved around the shop, but it does not raise the vehicle as high as 2 post.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big decision. I pondered a two post, but was not crazy about the floor space it took up. The HF scissors lift can be easily moved around the shop, but it does not raise the vehicle as high as 2 post.
that scissor lift looks nice but for the price I would rather get a 2 post since I have the room. Like the QuickJack, I am not fond of the idea of having the lift in the way so much...

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I got the MaxJax two-post lift because of its small size and operation on 110V power. It doesn't go high enough to stand under, but it is good for maintenance on the Alfas.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That certainly looks like the ticket! Found one online for 2100.00, free shipping. Right now that is on the top of my list..... Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the measurements a couple of years ago and it seemed to me that the quick jack 5000 won’t work with a spider?!?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wondering that but since I decided to go with a 2 post it is unimportant to me now.... I just couldn't get over the need to work around the lift.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts