Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Quick Question: Alt output cable length?

990 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  spiderserie4 
#1 ·
Hello all -- Just wondering if anyone knows the length of the alternator output cable that runs to the junction box on the inner fender? While searching AlfaBB I realized part of my balky starting issue might be the cable, which is the original. I'm traveling just now and upon return will clean off all the ground connections -- but while doing so I thought I would replace this cable with an AWG6 or 8 that I would like to order to length. This would be for a S4, but I assume it's probably the same for the S3. Probably.

Anyway, if anyone knows (or has one of the original cables laying around in that pile of old Alfa parts on the shelf for measurement) and could let me know -- I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess the order placement will have to wait until I return.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Hi -- since I'm back home, just thought I'd follow up on this. It garners almost no points for technical skills, but it does make a difference (at least in my case). I ordered a custom 4ga flexible power cable with M6 fittings attached (34.25" between terminal mounting holes OC), as well as made a new ground wire and placed both in a high-temp fabric wire cover. After cleaning off all the mounting points, installing and starting up -- the car starts in about half the cycles, and the alternator warning light now goes out almost immediately upon startup.

I am still somewhat surprised by that......

Anyway, this winter I'm just going through the list I gathered from AlfaBB on things every spider owner should do for basic reliability. Next up is wiring in an ignition relay (then installing emergency hood and trunk releases for the inevitable cable failure (then .... etc)).

#3 ·
Why would the addition of the big red cable surprise you? After all, it's all about resistance to electron flow, and reducing that resistance, right? Number 4 AWG is sort of overkill, but then it worked, right? We put an 8 ga. cable on my son's GTV 6 and it also improved things noticeably. We also added an ignition switch relay.

#6 ·
Hi -- yes the 4 cable was a tad heftier than expected, but not too large. It was nicely flexible and worked.

I'm not surprised the charging light goes out quickly after starting (and w/o having to rev the engine), but I am surprised the car starts up noticeably faster. My knowledge of automotive electrical theory is always lacking, but I would figure the alternator wouldn't 'contribute' anything until after the engine was running. At initial startup, wouldn't the alternator just be more of a load on the starter?

Thanks,

Kurt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.