Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am down to the final piece of putting my 85 back together after strip down for paint and interior…badges.

I recall when I took the plastic piece (pictured below) that the front 75mm Alfa badge attaches to off the grill, it seemed to slide off and wasn't attached with anything. It was just snug fitting to the grill and held on as a result. Am I remembering correctly?

Because now, there is a bunch of slop when I try and put it back on the grill and not sure what strangely changed between when I took it off and it was snug and now.

So just looking for confirmation of "yes, that piece is supposed to just slide over the plastic-chrome piece and onto the grill…nothing attaches it."

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
It just slides in. The grommets that hold the thing on tend to fail. You can get some gummy posterboard adhesive/stuff and use it to give some more "bite." This is a place where you can use squeezable tube adhesives without damaging anything, too.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob. It must've had some of that stuff on it before and I just didn't notice. Now both pieces have been painted and re-chromed, respectively, so any evidence is gone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

I'm doing something similar in reverse, and wondered how I get the next piece off? I can get the badge piece discussed earlier in this thread off, but can't get the chrome surround piece off. There seem to be some clips up behind the grill that I'm feeling, but it's quite hard to get access to anything up there.

I want to take the chrome surround off to paint it.

Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Craig, you'll have to remove the grille to get access to those clips. IIRC there are five clips that retain the chrome trim to the grille itself. Be careful though, they can snap off.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
'Loco' has steered you right. If you need a pic to show those one-way snap finger details, I have a removed grille close by.

Since you are going to be painting the chrome heart, I'm planning to do the same before long. I doubt the paint or primer will get a solid bond to the chrome plating. So if you know any tricks on that worry, I'd be interested in hearing. Must be a better/easier way than sandblasting the chrome off first?

Peter

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
sanding

Alfaloco is right with the light sanding.
Use a 1000 grit wet sand & some TSP to remove residue. You should be fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks All,

Great advice as ever.

Yes was planning on some light sanding, and a primer as well to get the paint to bond. I'm going with AR501 red for the the chrome piece as I've seen on a few other cars. My car is all silver and black. I think red will add a pop, and I've got to have some red on an Alfa!

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for the tips on getting paint to bond to the chrome plating, guys. As someone who has a background in plastics, I know how they plate plastics... but not how to remove it. So, I'll trust that a light sanding can give me a good grip for the primer. Much easier that trying to peel off all the chrome. Deluxe!

Red is what I had in mind for the grille heart too. The rest of the body on my languishing project GTV6 will be a matching red. May also do the arm rest trim and the center circles on the rear window knobs in red to help tie the interior back to the exterior. Since all the 'black' plastic on the exterior details are varied plastics, with different exposure angles to the sun, and age at different rates... I thought I'd paint those all a dark metallic charcoal, so they're all the same color. 50 shades of grey, down to just one.

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts