Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference in the deDion frame/tube among the 81-86 GTV6 run? Or is the deDion interchangeable among any year of GTV6?

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I suspect that the GTV6 de-Dion and the Milano de-Dion might have a slight difference in the amount of camber that they have built in. Other than that I have never noticed any difference in any Alfa de-Dion. But the I have also heard that the SZ had more camber built in.

Greg

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
All GTV6 DeDion tubes are the same

All GTV6 and Milano deDion tubes are interchangeable. Milano's with ABS have little brackets for the ABS wiring welded to the tube, and the hubs have ABS tone wheels on them, but they will still bolt up and work on a GTV6 or non ABS milano.

I strongly suspect that Alfetta deDion tubes are the same as later GTV6 tubes with the exception of the hubs.

The links on the watts linkage differ between Milano's and GTV6. The GTV6 has one straight tube and one tube with a bend in it. The Milano has two identical straight tubes. The Watts pivot is the same in both cars.

Bye

·
Registered
739 Posts
Alfetta De Dion's have a different front bush size they are the same diameter, different height 5or 6 mm?
spare parts suppliers list different part #'s
The hubs are interchangeable

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Yes also the spacers that go between the front de-Dion cross member are different for the GTV6 versus the Milano. I believe that's why the transaxle front mounts were two different heights. All the replacement mounts have the double thickness plates on them and you are supposed to cut off one when using them with a GTV6.

Greg

·
Richard Jemison
8,308 Posts
deDion

I`ve never seen a difference that would effect fitment in others.

As Greg wrote, there is difference in the vertical placement of the cross member.
Removing the steel spacer from between the front cross member and raising the front pivot point as well as modifying the rubber bushing to a spherical bearing mounted high in the deDion will reduce the "active" suspension characteristics of the rear design.
The "active" movements are the result of the pivot point being far lower than the car`s roll center. Raising the pivot keeps the rear "thrust angle" closer to "0" stabilizing and improving trail braking and corner entry and exit.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My experience, they are not all the same. Hub to hub measurements on the scrap 1978 GTV was 10mm narrower than the dion from my 1988 75 3lt. Where this difference actually is I haven't measured, I only measured from hubs, face to face.
I actually rebuilt the GTV dion and refitted it to my 3lt without any problems.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just for the record I have just measured these two.
1986 GTV6,..............................hub to hub is 1445 mm 40mm height at front bush
1986 Milano / 75 2.5,.............. hub to hub is 1445 mm 40mm height at front bush
I don't have an Alfetta or 3ltr de dion for a comparison.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is every chance that the hub to hub of the Alfetta will be different with the change from four stud to five hubs

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Sounds like they are definitely the same across all GTV6s at least. That's helpful for my application.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
I have 5 studded hubs on me race car. As well as the larger brakes of a GTV-6 in the front.
GiGi has a Milano Verde transmission. Limited slip!!!
My 1984/85 GTV-6 has a BIONIC transmission. I got an early gear box 1982 with the high end diff and put my gears in from the 84/85
It's very tall which is just awesome for crusing. I don't go into 5th unless I'm over 60+
Alfetta & GTV-6 transmissions are quite different from each other.

sportiva if you want the Fetta to run betta do this to her. Wow what a difference. My 75 Sedan loves this upgrade!!! Bosch CDI out of a Montreal or Porsche 911.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car City car

·
Registered
980 Posts
John, what is cdi?

Cdi?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Hi Rob

Cdi (More properly CDI) is ".....Capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) or thyristor ignition is a type of automotive electronic ignition system which is widely used in outboard motors, motorcycles, lawn mowers, chainsaws, small engines, turbine-powered aircraft, and some cars. It was originally developed to overcome the long charging times associated with high inductance coils used in inductive discharge ignition (IDI) systems, making the ignition system more suitable for high engine speeds (for small engines, racing engines and rotary engines). The capacitive-discharge ignition uses capacitor discharge current output to fire the spark plugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_discharge_ignition

Bye

1 - 13 of 13 Posts