Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IAP carries ITRE's which they say only fit cars to vin 62089. (My LS is 62909.) Centerline's ITRE listing says the same part is used in all 164's from 91 through 95 (mine is 94.)

Can anyone shed some light on this?

The passenger-side inner is Shot with capital S and I've got a perfect set from my old 91...I had replaced them 3 months before it was totaled. Pretty sure I bought them from IAP.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Evgeny, for the image. It looks like the inner tie rod end was unchanged throughout the life of the 164.

Cold weather expected here tomorrow, but if I can keep my garage warm enough, I'll see if the IAP part works in a car newer than their catalogue states.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
It will work see the first link to see the three different inner ends on them. Since you probably have a rack with a centering spring (damper) you will have to hold centering spring shaft with allen wrench and remove nut to get oval boot off.

You will need a plumber's basin wrench or inner tie rod removal tool to get old one off with rack in car.

Here are pictures of two inner tie rod removal tools I use: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/165495-jon-see-cal-van-inner-tie-rod-end-wrench.html

Here are pictures of different ITRE I have seen for 164 http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/433677-post30.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/432980-post21.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/432982-post22.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/49292-rosso-rescue-project-steering-rack-update.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, that's right. Steve as always right. Its are very inconvenient to change. So I use already steering rack without damper.

It is easier to remove from the car:wink2:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Steve. And again, Evgeny.

I'm not sure I want to completely remove the rack. I've replaced all the tie rod ends (inner and outer) on a 91 M.Y. car (and other non-Alfas), so I know it can be done with patience.

Steve, funny you should pass the link to the Cal-Van tool. I ordered one from Amazon after reading that very post on Saturday. If the weather cooperates, it is due to arrive Monday.

Guess, this does bring up a final question: will the steering rack from a 91 base work in a 94 LS? There's no damper on the unit from the 91, but are they otherwise interchangeable?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Racks are different between automatic and manual models. If both cars are the same, it should work. Even if they are not the same, the racks will still fit. Automatic car have a different turning radius right and left.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Richard,

Both cars are/were automatics, so I'll consider rebuilding the 91's rack for that inevitable day it will be needed in the LS.

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
Between 91 and 94 there is a difference in the height of the rack mounting

Not really because the 60548715 V-shaped lower spacer in the left side of your picture that goes under rack on driver's side of the car is the same spacer for all 164s 87 to 96. It is the one with the pentagon shaped rubber bushing.

The passenger side rounded spacer is part of the rack and not normally drilled off round rack cylinder unless rubber wrapped bushing is bad. As for the different thickness of those two round spacers in your picture it must have something to do with the difference between early rack without centering spring damper and later one with damper.

·
Registered
427 Posts
From what I have found out, the inner tie rod is the same for all 164's - except for the Q4, which have shorter ones, and that I know for a fact, as I have compared them on my Q4 to the standard 164 part...

·
Registered
656 Posts
As for the different thickness of those two round spacers in your picture it must have something to do with the difference between early rack without centering spring damper and later one with damper.
And it can not be associated with different thickness spacers between the body and the sub-frame ?
60562967 87-92 year
60597961 Super
I remember, when I was putting the steering rack on the car, I have something did not work. And I had to change these spacers. Ie, I put the spacers that I stood before, but not those that were purchased with other steering rack.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
Those part numbers are for different thickness subframe spacers for early and later production. I think they were thicker on later models to raise front of car.

Now as for the steering rack mounting on sub frame I think maybe the thicker fixed spacer on passenger side of rack maybe to battle torque steer but since the driver's side removable rack spacer 60548715 is the same on all 164 models nothing would be changed to raise height of rack on that side unless they changed hieght of mounting point on sub frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts