Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Questions on shipping a spider?

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ScottJ175 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have some shipping questions. A few of the carriers I have called said an Alfa might have to be shipped in a closed container, because there is not enough ground clearance to ship a car with less then a 6 inch clearance on an open bed.

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on this issue? What is the ground clearance on a series 3 spider? Any other shipping pointers or thoughts are much appreciated. Many thanks!

PS- posted this on the generel forum without much response. Hoping to get some thoughts on the spider forum.

#2 ·
I had mine shipped last summer from Mississippi to SoCal in a closed carrier, using an auto broker that is a friend of the family. They didn't give me a 'family' deal, but they made up for it with great service. (If you'd like, I'll give you name/number in a PM.)

Closed carrier is certainly the way to go, since there's no risk of weather-related or highway damage to the car. And those guys certainly know what they're doing. My guess is that most S3 Spiders, unlowered, ARE actually about 5-6 inches off the ground, so I'm not sure that's a real reason. But I'd suggest closed carrier is a better way to go, unless you're getting a fairly bruised car in the first place.

By the way, even FedEx will ship cars closed carrier these days...but for most any of the reputable carriers, it's still between around $1400-$2000 door-to-door coast-to-coast, less for shorter distances. That's substantially more than the open carriers.

Let me know if you need the additional info--I'll get it from home and PM you.

#3 ·
Duetto shipped

FWIT - I just shipped my Duetto (series 1) 250 miles on an open trailer. The driver waited for a day with a no-rain forecast. It was a one day trip. This trailer had a flat bottom, so there was no ground clearance at all, plus an air dam to deflect anything that might chip the paint.

Trying to attach an image---

Attachments

#4 ·
When I sold my '87 Spider it was shipped from SLC to New Jersey on an open car carrier with no problem. Of course, I had the Quad hardtop installed so it was less of a concern than if it was a soft top only. IIRC shipping was only 6-700 that way.

-Jason

#6 ·
had my duetto shipped from toronto to vancouver in an enclosed train car, ...received on this end perfect shape .......8 days later....and yes of course it was raining when i picked it up......but an hour later, clear skies, all the way to victoria, including the ferry.

#7 ·
jarrington said:
When I sold my '87 Spider it was shipped from SLC to New Jersey on an open car carrier with no problem. Of course, I had the Quad hardtop installed so it was less of a concern than if it was a soft top only. IIRC shipping was only 6-700 that way.

-Jason
What does IIRC shipping mean? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.