Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search, so I have learned the cigarette lighters on these cars are different than most cars. This may explain why my GPS power socket will not work with the stock Alfa cigarette lighter receptacle. The lighter itself heats up, but the pop-up part does not pop up, I had to pry it up with a screw driver.

Anyhow, I am going to try to remove the stock set up and swap in an aftermarket 12V power outlet, going back in the same location. I doubt it will be a direct unplug the old, plug in the new as far as the wiring goes as the connectors will likely be different, but we will see. Wish I could take photos, but misplaced my digital camera again.

Any comments on this? Any idea if the existing cigarette lighter wiring is durable enough for what I assume is a low, but constant electrical draw?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If your lighter is a brico pram, go to ebay and see how much Ferrari owners pay for working ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If your lighter is a brico pram, go to ebay and see how much Ferrari owners pay for working ones.
Guess I will have to look it over and see. Hope it is not a brico pram as I snipped it to reuse the electrical connectors.

Well, it was harder to get the ashtray out than install the 12V port. Electrical connectors did not match. Took me a moment to figure out the stock receptacle had three wires due to the light. So I snipped the new and the old connectors, stripped back a little insulation, and used crimp connectors to join the old connectors to the new power port wiring. Power port works.

I will drive it awhile as is, to make sure there are no issues before putting the ashtray and old cigarette lighter back in (to fill the hole).

I am thinking about mounting the power port on the rear most edge of the console, facing up. It would be very close to the original cigarette lighter. Will have to drill mounting holes in the console if doing that. Or mount it to the trans tunnel, directly or on a little metal bracket I would have to make. Option 2 would be a bit less convenient to use the port, but saves drilling the console. Would need to check and make sure nothing is under the floor/trans tunnel of course.

Comments?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have replaced my lighter with a brand new unit (you can get them from Vick's) and thought you might like to know that even new, it doesnt quite fit most modern AC-plug units very well. they work, but you have to twist them just right. kind of a pain in butt

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far my power port is working well.

I have thought up a better solution, I think for mounting the Power port without drilling an extra holes. I will work on it and if it does okay I will post some photos and do a step by step.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts