Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Spider Veloce
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how this still works but this is an introduction and a question. I was a member back when I had the 71. rebuilt it with some help from the forum and wes Ingram and eventually gave it to the local college who made an electric dragster out of it. I have some pictures. Anyway, Ok, I moved east, to the west coast and got another 89 Veloce NA.... when I had the last one back in 93 there were l jetronic parts available... no finding any now. so. a conundrum. My last alfa was a spica 71, had parts and fixes... wish I still had it. Im considering a carb setup for the 89 as I cannot for the life of me understand the Bosch so... thousands$ which I dont actually have for the conversion, or parts for the Bosch system. Any advice? (surely thoughts). Sound car but for the driveline and brake upgrades... which I can get parts.
Cheers,
Samuel

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
There is a good troubleshooting guide for the L-Jetronic available from AlfaBB members and there are places that can check out ECUs and repair them.
There are also several vendors that can supply many parts for these cars.

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts
Welcome back aboard. Come on down to the Spider section & post your questions there.. Be sure to include some photos - otherwise we may have send Guido over to have a talk wid youse...

I cannot for the life of me understand the Bosch so... thousands$ which I dont actually have for the conversion, or parts for the Bosch system. Any advice? (surely thoughts).
There are many thousands of Bosch cars driving around. I can't explain anything about the inner workings of the computers but I can say that the vast majority of issues are with a sensor or two, electrical connections (especially grounds) &/or intake air/vacuum leaks. Once sorted, it is a reliable system. Click the link in my signature for a page of DIY diagnosis info (you may need to first click the down arrow to see the whole signature block).

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Hi there and welcome. Here is the link to the spider Ljet troubleshooting article.

I've found this book to be fantastic about explaining Bosch fuel injection in general.

Please don't convert your car to carbs, Bosch parts are out there. Here is a list of the Bosch fuel injection part numbers.
IMG_1011.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I converted my 1985 spider to Weber carbs a few years ago and never looked back, I still do not have them adjusted where I want them, but do not regret making the change. Something about Weber carbs, can't put my finger on it though

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a quick question about your weber carbs... For starters, I have a 76' Spider and had them recently installed. Is the fuel regulator required for the carbs? There's one I've seen on a few alfa websites. I'm new here btw... still learning my way around this site. Thanks yall!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Yes, our Weber carbs cannot tolerate high fuel pressure, I have mine adjusted with a 1" gauge in the hose leading to the carbs. 2 psi works fine for me, it never seems to run out of fuel, even under high load conditions. Also keep the fuel level/float adjustment within spec.

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
Get a Filter King Regulator. The Mr Gasket disc type regulators are junk. The correct pressure is depenedent on the size of the needle valves in your Webers. Bigger valves require less pressure but they are also less tolerant of over pressure. A stock 2L motor does not need anything bigger than 1.50 valves and they will run well at 3 psi.
If I had an S3 Spider I would convert it to Webers.

·
Registered
what part?
10,752 Posts
I converted my 1985 spider to Weber carbs a few years ago and never looked back, I still do not have them adjusted where I want them, but do not regret making the change. Something about Weber carbs, can't put my finger on it though
they just make a ' cool noise ' thats all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts