Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my mate are working on my 79' today was a very big step for us... we got the motor running for the first time since we bought it for 200 dollars, it hasnt ran since 2005 or so we have been told. The fuel pump is broken, so we had to improvise quiet funny actually post video/pics soon as i can.

Since we are both very new to cars we are both 19 yr old boys who just love this car, we are wondering since the car has inboard disc brakes on the back ... is there still room for a LSD ?
-What are the most common things that are wrong with this model of car (1979 alfetta sedan 2000 2.0L) is it the gear box? electrics? ect? *just be nice to get a heads up on what is going to be prove difficult

-We are having alot of trouble removing the spark plugs... they seem to be well stuck, we tried soaking them in WD-40 and still they wont budge, any advice? we ended up snapping one :mad:

-Anything else you think is worth mentioning please do Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. The Alfetta Sedans can be great cars.
On what's going to prove difficult, that's hard to say, depends on lots of unknown factors. But plenty of things can be tricky, as you are already finding out. Do a search on this site for Alfetta Sedans or Sport Sedans (as they're called here in the U.S. - I'm assuming you're in Australia). Rust is the obvious and most difficult attribute of these cars. Followed by driveline balancing, there are 3 rubber "donuts" or "giubos" that connect the driveline from the engine to the clutch/gearbox housing in rear that if in bad shape will sideline you for a bit. Crawl under the car and check the joints (or anything rubber for that matter) for cracks or any signs of deterioration.
Second gear synchro can get worn out easily as well, but that's almost to be expected.
An LSD from a later 75/Milano donor car will fit just fine (and will still have the inboard disks), but I'd have to ask why you think you need it? The 2 liter cars aren't terribly powerful, and don't really need it per se.
As for your spark plug issue, I don't really have any great suggestions for that one. Possibly heat (be careful though - it's an aluminum engine) or motor oil left in the plug wells for a few days might loosen things up?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts