Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a research project and i wanted to ask - Which Alfa are you most passionate and why? What about them do you value the most?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
It's a Bobcor car :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
The GTV-6, primarily because of the engine sound and styling. I enjoy it more than a number of more modern sports cars I've owned in the last ten years.

If I ever get a chance to drive the new 8C my choice might change. That's assuming I could overlook the paddle shifter.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Which Alfa are you most passionate and why? What about them do you value the most?
I am, and always will be, the most passionate about the Alfa in my garage. The Alfa in my garage is the Alfa I enjoy owning, maintaining, and driving. It is my link to the Alfa world and the evidence of my enthusiasm for the marque. I value my Alfa's styling, performance, and uniqueness; but, mostly, I value my Alfa as an exotic car that is accessible to me.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
For me, it's the 2600 Spider and 2600 SZ. I bought the Spider because I liked the form (a Carrozzeria Touring design of which 2253 cars were made).

When I got to drive 2600 Spider, I fell in love with the smooth straight-6 engine. Lots of torque through the whole RPM range -- great for taking long road trips without having to shift constantly. The ride quality was very comfortable. This was especially important because my bad back requires a sports car that borders on being luxurious rather than being a tame race car.

Because of what I already had learned about 2600 Spiders, I got interested in the 2600 SZ and bought a restoration project of which I had received pictures. The car is kidn of a curiosity because only 105 were built. Last year, I got to drive a very original 2600 SZ in Europe and fell completely in love with it. The 2600 SZ feels much tighter and smaller than the Spider possibly because of weight distribution (mechanicals and wheel base are the same).

What I value about them is the look, the performance of the straight-6, and the fact that these were some of the last hand-made cars Alfa produced.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
For me it's the GTV6. It's the last rwd Alfa coupe sold in the U.S. It offers a totally different driving experience compared to almost any other car. It's performance can be increased to match most modern cars. Most of all I like the sound, style, and overall driving experience. These things are highly subjective.

I also own a Spider and I have driven a few GTVs. These are great cars but they feel a lot like Fiat 124s (which is a good thing) so they just don't seem unique to me.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com

·
Premium Member
15,539 Posts
My first 64 Giulia Sprint GT. Bright red, exotically made and ahead of it's time mechanically, no one else had one anywhere in the whole country except for one I think in New York, sounded great, a real paradigm change from my father's American cars. Put 260k miles on that lovely creation.

Maybe someday...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would say the series 2 Spider, 1974 specifically. To me it is the car that had the most staying power. It is modern enough yet simple and not weighted down with smog equipment, heavy bumpers, and DOT restrictions.

You can take a basic 74 Spider and upgrade the ignition, freshen up the suspension, and put a nice set of wheels and modern rubber and you are in business.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Bertone coupes from the beginning of series production to the end with the 2000GTV.

They are the epitome of styling in the genre of small, four cylinder coupes. The driving experience available from one, and the sense of occasion that you get every time you take one out is immense.

In the same genre, there are faster cars, and more popular cars, more robust cars and certainly more reliable ones - but none of them have the romance of the Giulia/105 coupes.

Now that i've said all that, i'll say that I love the 105 sedans almost as much because they are MORE fun to drive and ooze italianate charm from every pore.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If we are talking about mass produced, post war cars,i would definitely choose the Tipo 116 Alfetta,both as berlina and coupe.Needless to say that I prefer the first series,chrome bumpered,euro spec (with twin DellOrto or Solex carbs)examples.
I believe that the Tipo 116 Alfetta is the most revolutionary and technical innovated car,ever produced by Alfa Romeo since the end of the WW2.

I like the Giugiaro and Centro Stile design (specially the dramatic screen angles of the GT/GTV and the bonnet-almost in a line with the front screen).

The almost 50:50 weight distribution,the transaxle mechanical solution,the longitudinal torsion bars of the front suspension and the De Dion with coil springs,A frame and Watts linkage rear suspension.

The characterful dashboard of the GT,with the tacho in front of the driver (while all the unimportant dials like speedo,fuel gauge ect. are off to one side).

The pleasure to drive them (specially with the snorty twincam engines),the relative ease of their maintenance.The excellent steering and because for any given corner can be carried out at much higher speeds than with the 105 series:D:D

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Bertone 105 coupes for sure. I simply LOVE the styling of these cars. I had one in the early 80's, and thought it was the most beautiful car ever designed then. Unfortunately, I had to sell it. I recently beought another one, because I STILL feel this car is such friggin' good lines.... The handling and the sound make me smile every time I drive her

1 - 13 of 13 Posts