Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 1600 GTV that I am sorting out wrong parts that the prior owner put on from a 1750 (Last picture! and yes, the seats are 1750 seats! but I am keeping them). I am replacing the intake manifold seen in picture #1 with a screw in manifold with 40mm/32mm port size (carb side/engine side)

I have a few questions:
1) is a 40/32 intake manifold the correct one for a 1600 GTV?
2) I have 3 small breather tubes and am trying to figure out what to connect to what:
#1 on the cam cover breather
#2 on the airbox
#3 on #1 cylinder of the intake manifold
I have read in the forums that #1 is connected to #3. If so, where do I connect #2? Is this from an incorrect airbox for a 1600 GTV (a 1750 airbox) so possibly should be connected to a distributor advance that I don't have? Should this be plugged?

3) Also, I understand there should be a flame arrester installed in the large hose from the cam cover to the airbox, where can I source one?

Many thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi, in this case if you want to replicate the original Euro arrangement, #3 will connect to #2, & you need to delete/plug #1.
Your #1 is from a later barrel air filter setup & is not used on the early cars.
As for flame arrester, this was unique to US market cars only & was a dealer retrofit in some cases to meet legislation.
Euro & all other markets cars just didn't have at all. Simple & cleaner look.
Vince.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vince. Makes perfect sense. I thought that can cover pipe seemed out of place.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I believe 3 would go to the vacuum advance on your distributor. Just plug it if your distributor is not so equipped.

·
Registered
299 Posts
On my 1600 the small pipe connection 1 goes to small connection 3 it's to keep the breather gas going back into the engine when at idle and little flow past the close throttles
My 74 GTJ does not have vacuum advance so I believe that's how it left the factory

·
Registered
686 Posts
My advice in post #2 still stands as the correct arrangement for your early model car with the cross-over air filter & no vacuum advance.
Regards,
Vince.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts