Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think that the out board brake conversion that jj has done would get passed by the engineers and RTA here in Australia.
I think it looks great .
P.s I hope you dont mind me using one of your pics jj.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
You would need to make provision for a mechanical handbrake to pass RTA requirements, this is o.k. for a race car as you dont need a hand brake.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Well, there are actually some seriously practical reasons for performing this conversion on our cars!

For one; where 14" or 15" wheels were either the norm, the only thing available, or specified as a class-rule, racers and race car designers would plan/seek out/convert/modify to inboard brakes, since it allowed for larger brakes! With the advent of larger wheels available (and the norm), you could now run a much larger brake and rotor combination outboard...

Inboard brakes also reduce un-sprung weight - another advantage that cannot be denied...

With our cars and their standard inboard brakes, it was a good idea - poorly executed! The heat build-up from the brakes and the exhaust and the tranny - all in such close proximity (and all tucked up in there underneath the chassis with very little cooling), is a problem. It boils the fluid, fades the brakes - and not to mention - kills that tranny! The heat-transfer from the stock, cast-iron inboard discs - right on to the tranny - is HUGE and Alfa tried to address this with the vented (but still solid) cast-iron discs and caliper spacers utilized in the SZ cars...

As a side-note; this is one reason why the vented G2/GiroDisc brakes with their floating aluminium hats and vented discs back there are so effective on the street and the track (and an additional step in the right direction!!!) I just wanted to go yet another step further!

With transaxle brakes tucked so close up in there you also can't fit larger inboard brakes without major modification. (On some of the works cars like Ron's GTV6), larger calipers and vented discs were fitted with the calipers hanging off of the rear of the tranny (almost at the bottom!)

Because we will be running 17s now, there is plenty of room for LARGE outboard brakes on the car! I was willing to accept the trade off from an increase in the un-sprung weight (because I think that we now have a suspension package that can handle it) and there were also some great strides made in overall weight-reduction!

Mainly, the outboard conversions makes a great deal of sense when you consider the increased cooling to the brakes, much larger setups and the complete elimination of heat build-up on the tranny (I will also be dumping the exhaust out the side...)

Will your boys allow the conversion - dunno? Reference the IMSA cars converted to outboard...

·
Registered
94 Posts
ah yes,but you are talking about a circuit car,
he wants it for just road use,
they money would better spent on other items,
former 75 owner,do you still own a alfa 75?
why don't you put a evo kit on it,if you want spend this sort of money on the car,i know were you can get hold of 1 in sydney if intrested.
and i haven't seen many evo's going around sydney.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And its good fun when you have to explain to 'know-all' ricers - yes it does have brakes (but only just! - i normally leave that bit out) :)
Hahahahah mate many a time i have said it doesn't have any,and this is followed by stunned :eek:silence and then them getting on there knees to see if i`m bull****ting.Followed by more disbelief :confused:that they are where they are ,all very good for a laugh.:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
did you know that jags have inboards also,
the old xjs.must have been made in the same factory as alfa,same period of time also as the 75,because the electrics on the jag are also fcked up,same as the alfa's:p
p.s. did you want a evo kit for the 75

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No i didnt know that about the Jags ,very interesting.

So another car maker got to deal with electrical nightmares.ha ha ha ha

No thanks mate(re evo kit) but thanks for the offer anyway.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Works fine for me, opens a pdf.

However I think you may have trouble meeting this requirement:

Calliper brackets must be mounted using all of the original disc brake calliper mounting points or at least three of the original drum brake backing plate mounting points.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey Craig thanks again for re posting the document.Still no friggin luck.
All I just got was this error.

(There was an error opening this document the viewer cannot decrypt this document)
There must be something wrong on my end.

Any chance you could cut and paste the entire documnet for me or is it too big.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
In that case the Group2/GiroDisc rear setup is the best option!

Brand new reconditioned stock calipers, but with the 4 spacers.
Same size (but now vented) disc.
Zinc-dipped rotors on a floating-hat system
Aluminium bells
Stainless steel brake line!

I lovit on my street/track 3.0 - No fade, stops like a train (combined with those 4-pot front G2/GiroDisc jobbies), and looks awesome!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The VSB is a guide. The States do not have to accept anything in it. Even if you have made the modifications according to the VSB, state authorities may choose not to register your car, or issue you with a defect.

More and more, for liability and litigation reasons, state inspectors are asking for the owners of modified motor vehicles to get engineers reports. These reports will cost the owner hundreds of beer tickets. For braking mods, they will often want to test your car to the applicable design rule.

A large component of what you what you are paying for is the engineers insurance. And these guy's premiums are often around $20,000 P.A.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts