Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce, 2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking into purchasing a '72 2000 Spider Veloce project, which seems to have its original drivetrain and SPICA FI, but I'm also looking at a photo that shows a SPICA air box with 1750 on it--any idea why that would be the case? I honestly don't get the sense that it's been swapped out, but I could be wrong. The only thing I can think of is that it's an early build number for 1972 (one of the first 100 cars), but I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Other info: it's a stock engine, with factory cams, bearing engine number AR01500*00466*, with a SPICA pump code of T255 ('72) and showing designations of 'N11346' and 'A1BB4CS75' on the pump plate.

Help me figure out whether I have a mismatch here!

Thanks in advance,

Josh

2,991 Posts
The 1750 Spica airbox from a 1971 will interchange exactly with a 1972. The whole 1969 Spica system had major differences and the box would not fit. Perhaps the original box got damaged, or was swapped for a sports air filter system ages ago and the airbox discarded - then the owner got fed up with the noise?

I wouldn't worry about it, unless the car is fitted with a 1969 pump and intake manifold. And T255 is definitely a 2000 pump.

Just recently, somebody offered reproduction 2000 plates. SPICA 1750/2000 Airbox Plate

· Registered
2,824 Posts
As Yves says, not big deal on the air box being from a 1971 1750 model. T255 pump is correct for a 72 model 2000 Spider.

Reactions: CountryAlfa

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 1750 Spica airbox from a 1971 will interchange exactly with a 1972. The whole 1969 Spica system had major differences and the box would not fit. Perhaps the original box got damaged, or was swapped for a sports air filter system ages ago and the airbox discarded - then the owner got fed up with the noise?

I wouldn't worry about it, unless the car is fitted with a 1969 pump and intake manifold. And T255 is definitely a 2000 pump.

Just recently, somebody offered reproduction 2000 plates. SPICA 1750/2000 Airbox Plate
Thank you! This is exactly the information I needed. I'm in touch with Wes Ingram too, who said I should send him a photo and he may be able to swap it out (I'm considering having him overhaul the SPICA just to have that on solid ground). I was more concerned with the pump being for the correct engine and year, which it is, thankfully.

· Registered
2,824 Posts
(I'm considering having him overhaul the SPICA just to have that on solid ground)
Whats wrong with the pump? How do you know its bad and needs an overhaul?
I was more concerned with the pump being for the correct engine and year, which it is, thankfully.
It shouldn't be a deal breaker if the pump were to have been from another 2000 model. Any Spica pump from 1972 till 1979 would work fine.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats wrong with the pump? How do you know its bad and needs an overhaul?

It shouldn't be a deal breaker if the pump were to have been from another 2000 model. Any Spica pump from 1972 till 1979 would work fine.
You have a good point, I don't know that it's 'bad' per se, but I know that Wes rebuilds to better than factory, and since this is a completely disassembled project car, and both the transmission and engine need a rebuild, I want to make sure I am putting things back to the best condition possible under the circumstances. I'm assuming the pump needs some help (it's missing the thermostatic actuator, for example), just like the rest of drivetrain, and since he has a 10 month wait at the moment, I wanted to get in line.

Fortunately, the pump itself is spot on and from the correct year, so it's just the air box!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts