Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, looking for advice on my 88 Alfa Spider Quad see if anyone has run into this. I purchased my quad with 17 inch aftermarket wheels and low profiles. Car looks sick with 17’s. However, always joking that I need to eat a lumberjacks meal to back it out of driveway. Steering wheel hard. Do I have a steering issue or are these rims just too big? Was thinking of switching to stock or aftermarket 15’s

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,625 Posts
Yeah, those are huge. Car’ll drive a lot better on 15s. I personally wouldn’t go wider than 195.

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
567 Posts
For my own education, isn't heavy steering more due to tire width, rather than wheel size? I'd think similar tire widths would have similar steering efforts, almost regardless of wheel diameter.

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a standard 14s on my 86 Veloce. I went from 195s to 185s and the difference was very noticable. The 185 width makes it seem like I have power steering now in comparison!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,625 Posts
For my own education, isn't heavy steering more due to tire width, rather than wheel size? I'd think similar tire widths would have similar steering efforts, almost regardless of wheel diameter.
True, but nobody makes narrow 17s, so those are probably some ungodly width.

Also it’s not just steering effort. Big wheels are heavy and have higher moment of inertia, so they hurt ride, acceleration, and braking too.

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
567 Posts
True, but nobody makes narrow 17s, so those are probably some ungodly width.

Also it’s not just steering effort. Big wheels are heavy and have higher moment of inertia, so they hurt ride, acceleration, and braking too.
Very clear, thanks Tom -

David OD

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I agree 17s are way too big. I like my wide 205 tires, but 15 make a lot more sense for the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I The owner I bought three car from had these on. Not my cup of tea. These are 16s. Wouldn't mind getting these sold and out of the garage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I The owner I bought three car from had these on. Not my cup of tea. These are 16s. Wouldn't mind getting these sold and out of the garage.
View attachment 1670316
Not sure yet if I will replace my 17’s, however, do you have set of 4? were these on an Alfa spider and how did it steer? And if you have four, what would you sell for with tires and are the tires ok?

·
Push hard and live
11,033 Posts
For some people, there is a “look” that is more important than all other factors. For me, an Alfa is first and foremost a delightfully balanced car. Anything that reduces that balance is likely to reduce the amount of time it is chosen for that day’s drive.

The S3 cars, while quite nice in many regards, were getting heavy. Their ride height had been increased above the original design. So, the optimum balance may require more than different wheels and tires.

A good start would be a set of Classic Alfa or Alfaholics 14” GTA replica wheels, shod with Pirelli CN36 tires. I think you can get the wheels in either aluminum or magnesium alloy. Both are well made, and look great.

This change alone will probably astonish you with the reduced steering load, excellent handling, and more pleasant ride.

Reactions: BMX

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Don,

For stock wheels (I have the Campagnolo Turbina wheels) what size tires do you advise and where did you get your tires? Thanks. Neil

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
I look at a few different size rims and tires. My friend has a tire shop so he let me try a 15 a 16 and a 17 wheel I found that 16 rims are the best balance for a hotted up spider 205 50 16 work well and still return a nice ride, I found that 17 inch wheels with 215 45 17 were way to harsh to drive in and steering was much harder aven at speed. My vote is if you want a nice looking like profile rim tire set up 16 are the way to go

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
And even then without the proper offset the rear tires on a 205 50 16 will fun the inside rear fender well, under compression . This could cause some handling issue

·
Push hard and live
11,033 Posts
Don,

For stock wheels (I have the Campagnolo Turbina wheels) what size tires do you advise and where did you get your tires? Thanks. Neil
Neil,

Here’s what I have on my 77 Spider, and I bought them from Longstone Tyre in the UK, via this link.

Some prefer the taller, more narrow CA67.

The 77 manual lists the CA67 as original. The 78 manual also lists the CA67 as original, but also notes the CN36 as being used when alloy wheels are fitted. My car also has Turbinas, so that’s what I chose.

I made several changes in short order, and somewhat to my astonishment, it all clicked. My Spider is very nearly as delightful as my 65 Sprint GT, and in some ways nicer with the lower center of gravity.

Reactions: Neil Martin

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I have the CA67 in 165-14 on the turbina's. I love the handling.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everyone, looking for advice on my 88 Alfa Spider Quad see if anyone has run into this. I purchased my quad with 17 inch aftermarket wheels and low profiles. Car looks sick with 17’s. However, always joking that I need to eat a lumberjacks meal to back it out of driveway. Steering wheel hard. Do I have a steering issue or are these rims just too big? Was thinking of switching to stock or aftermarket 15’s
Thanks for the feedback, picked up some 15’s that were on a previous Alfa, mounted them on momo oem tire size, light as a feather, functions like it was intended, highly recommend sticking with 15’s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts