Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyboby,

my Giulietta Spider 1098 unfortunately no longer has her original trunk floor. I saw many different versions of this floor, in particular the type and number of ribs vary and, I guess, also the hole for the harness has different positions.

As my body shop will be soon in the process of restoring the floor I am asking if anyone who has a Giulietta Spider next to mine in number, with the original trunk floor, can send me some pictures of it.

Thanks a lot

Carlo

Rectangle Gas Font Composite material Circle

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my car, which number is 1098, was built in January 1957, so I guess that her trunk floor is similar to Giulietta built from 1956 until the beginning of 1957. Not later because in mid 1957 the Giuletta body was modified (and maybe also the trunk floor)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Just guessing there Carlo. I was close…😁

I do have photos of my 101 trunk floor but I do not know if they altered the trunk at all by 1961. Don’t want to steer you in the wrong boot direction. Dual meaning attempt at humor there, but I digress.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Carlo,

I am restoring my car 0991 and would be happy to send you some photos. The car is amazingly rust free and I am sure it has the original trunk floor (one small rust patch about 20 mm under the battery). It is in the body shop on a rotisserie at the moment but I am going to be working on it this weekend. I will get you some photos then.

Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Carlo,

Here are photos of my trunk. I apologize about the poor quality, but my car is currently on a rotisserie jig and it extends into the trunk, which makes if difficult to work around. It looks to me like there are some small differences in the pattern of the ribs compared to the photo you posted. It appears that there are more ribs to the right of the fuel sender in your photo than in my car. The only other difference I see is that the wiring harness hole has moved from the inner forward corner of the battery to the outer rear corner. You can just barely make it out in one of the photos. You can also make out my body number at the rear center of the floor, 16939.

I also noticed that in the photos of Dave's 101 there are a series of small rectangular depressions near the sender hole. Not sure what those are for.

Hard for me to imagine that primer-coated mess is ever going to look as nice as Dave's trunk.

Let me know if there are specific features you would like to see in more detail and I see if I can get some better photos for you.

Rob

Gas Auto part Hood Automotive exterior Rectangle
Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper Gas
Wood Font Gas Automotive exterior Rectangle

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Rob, Hello Barn101,

Thanks a lor for the pictures!

Thank to Rob pictures now is clear how the trunk should look like. Still not very clear where is the wiring harness hole and the welded nut for earthing cable of the battery.

Rob, is your battery tray screwed to the floor?

Carlo

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Carlo,

I will get better photos of the harness hole and grounding point. My battery tray is screwed to the floor so that I can properly paint underneath it and remove it for cleaning. It was originally welded. A previous owner had removed the original tray, so I had to replace it anyway.

Rob

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Rob,

looking better at your images and doing some researches on Internet I think I have found the position of the hrness hole and grounding point, see attached image. So I ask you just to confirm it and, if feasible, to measure the diameter of the harness hole and also of the filler neck tank hole

Thanks a lot

Carlo
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Carlo,

The location of the harness hole and grounding point look exactly like mine. I will see if I can get my painter to measure the harness hole and filler hole diameters when he gets back in the shop on Monday.

Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Carlo,

OK, on my car the fuel filler hole is about 3 3/8" (85 mm) and the cable harness hole is about 1 1/16" (27 mm). I attached a couple of photos my painter sent me that might help. The photos are both from the underside of the car.  Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Rim
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle door Automotive design Art

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello to everybody,

one more question: can Rob or anybody else tell me the diameter of the external filler hole? See attachment. It seems that the internal filler hole diameter (85mm, see previous post) is different from the diameter of the external filler hole.

And more, from the part manual, the grommets that are mounted on those 2 filler hole are the same part number, so the question is: if the 2 holes have different diameters how can be the 2 grommets the same?

Thank a lot

Carlo

Hood Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Attachments

·
Administrator
750 Sprints, Spider, 101 Sprint, Spider & Ti, 105 Sprint GT, 105 Juniors, others
4,759 Posts
Carlo you want to make sure that you make the holes in the new floor to fit the grommets that are available today, a change of 1mm or 3mm or 5mm will not be noticeable hidden inside a new rubber grommet at the filler cap or the tank neck - BUT a hole that is too small will need cutting or filing out to make the grommet work and after paint that will just hurt... both the paint and you.

Restoring cars today with the repro parts available is a bit of a compromise as the repro parts are often only available in one size of version while your car might have used the earlier one. In the case of this rubber grommet, it's hidden away and almost invisible - make your new floor fit the available grommets and you will save hours of pain later.

My 0.02 Lira's worth

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Carlo,

According to my painter, the hole in the trunk floor is 85 mm and the hole in body is 80 mm. As you pointed out, both holes got the same grommet, so you think they would be the same size.

Rob

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello to everybody,

Thanks for the answers. Also my hole on the body is 80, so it should bè ok and compatible with the grommet. I will make the hole in the trunk floor 85, which will allow some adjustement of the grommet

Carlo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts