Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 Spider Quad that I am replacing the radio in. The problen is I can't find the wiring info anywhere. I plan on retaining the connector from the original radio since no one makes an adapter.
The I.A.P. Spider shop manual doesn't cover any of the radio wiring except for telling you what fuse is for the radio.
There is a diagram but the wire colors and numbers of wires are totally incorrect.
This is a factory radio that hasn't been changed by a P.O.
I can figure the power wiring and speaker wiring but the other wires are a problem.
It has a motorized antenna also.
Here is the wire-out for the connector:
BLUE

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I hit the wrong key.
Here is the wire-out:
BLUE 12VDC+
BLACK 12VDC-
WHITE AND GREY SPEAKER
WHT/GRN AND GREY/GRN SPEAKER
WHT/RED AND GREY/RED SPEAKER
Here is where I have a problem:
Two YELLOW WIRES ???
BLUE/WHT ????
RED ???
I assumethere are two outputs for the antenna motor but that leaves some extra wires. Also I can only confirm 3 speaker pairs but the car has 4 speakers.
Hopefully someone has seen this before and can help me.
Charlie

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Ok there has to be another power either switched 12v or continuous 12v. The way to test for this is to turn the ignition on. Then there is a illumination wire that is for the lights on your stock radio this wire will not be needed for your aftermarket unit. The way to test for that wire is to turn the lights on and you should have power. Then there should be one wire for the power antenna. If you touch that wire to a power source it will raise the antenna up and when you disconnect it the antenna will go down. Do you have a pic of the wires to help out? Or is there a diagram on the original radio?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lenard,
On the 87 Quad the power to the radio stays on even with the key turned off. I've forgotten this enough times and drained the battery.
I guess the next step is to pull out all the speakers and antenna and check wire colors at those points. That may not help if there is a relay for the antenna.
The diagram in the IAP manual doesn't show one but what it does show isn't anywhere near the actual wiring.
Charlie

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Papajam may have something for the 87 in his pile-o-diagrams if'n you ax in the 'available wiring digarams' portion of the electrical subsection.

Way more betterer, clearerer, and accurater than likely anything you've seen thus far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts