Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - the radiator leak on the '72 Berlina is getting worse (surprise). Given that I am in SoCal and trend to drive with some enthusiasm would you guys recommend just getting it repaired back to stock condition, trying to put in an upgraded core, or going a different route altogether?

I'm not familiar with these yet so I don't know if the cooling is adequate or could use some extra help. She has her stock fan if that matters.

Thanks in advance for the coaching.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
If you can find a competent radiator shop, recoring an old radiator tends to be less expensive than buying a new one. Where are you located in Southern California? For south LA/Orange County Mattson's Radiator at 10529 Beach Blvd., Stanton is the place to go. They can combine a heavy duty core with your existing upper & lower tanks.

Alfas tend to cool pretty well, even with a stock radiator. The big oil pans provide a large measure of oil cooling.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay - I'll give Mattson's a ring.

Pulling the existing one looks pretty straight forward, anything I should know before I dive in? I'll put new hoses back on of course.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
Oh, it's you, tdskip. Somehow I didn't focus on who was asking the question. Yea, Mattson's is your best bet.

Pulling Alfa radiators is pretty easy. Just expect it to puke antifreeze all over your shoes, no matter how well you drain it. Oh, and don't lose the rubber bumpers at the two upper support points, or the rubber "saddle" at the lower.

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
If you still have the fan shroud, it's a bit of a juggle to get the hose fittings/hoses out around the shroud. Rotate the shroud 90* clockwise once everything is loose, as you pull the radiator up, to make it easier.

I would check your water pump bearing while you're in there; if it's at all loose now's the time to change the pump. And your belt, and the Spica belt, and on and on it goes "while you're in there."

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts