Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody,

I bought a spare drive shaft center bearing for my drive shaft, but when the shop disassembled the old one mounted, they found out is thicker than the new one.

Now the question is: which is the correct one? The thicker or the thinner?

Unfortunately the whole drive shaft is still at the shop where it need to be re-tubed and balanced, so I do not exactly how the bearing is mounted on the shaft.

Any help to clarify is very welcome! And also any tips on where I can buy a thicker bearing, if this is the correct one.

Thanks

Carlo

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Tom,

Thank-you for your answer. No, there is not any washer stuck on the bearing. It is the bearing itself that is thicker.

I read here on AlfaBB that parts 36 and 35 are not always present, so I guess if maybe the thicker bearing was mounted on cars where parts 36 and 35 where not present. But it is only my guess.

I hope someone here on AlfaBB has the answer...

Carlo

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Carlo and All,
This is what I found in the different spare parts manuals:
The used bearing that you have would be for the first set up, the one without the centrifuge cups and spring. (see picture)
It would be a great help if you could tell us any fabrication references stamped on this larger bearing as they are not mentioned in the manuals ?
The new (small) one is for the later set up with the cups and spring.
By the way, this bearing was also used in the alfa 102 and 106 series and the 2 cups and spring were also used in the 106 series.
The moment of change to this second set up is listed in the Giulietta parts manual (see the note there).
The best is not to mix parts of both front propeller shaft systems as there are other differences involved for both set ups (differences in the flange to the rear shaft (nr 13), the aluminium supporting ring for the bearing (7), the shaft (2) itself…)
Other thoughts or corrections always appreciated,
Thierry

Attachments

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
The accuracy of the components is really insignificant as long as the bearing is of the type and a press fit on the shaft and aluminum retainer ring..Obviously your supplier knew that if it came from a AR supplier. The bearing is a sealed bearing and the dust cover cones (2) with spring really are more a PITA than needed over the next one to two decades of use these cars are going to get.. I tried to retro fit them on a shaft that was missing them and all they did was make noise.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hello Carlo
I just had the same issue.... I used 2 aluminum drain plug washers to make up the difference. They were in my WURTH kit
so they are not odd sizes. I think the 2 washers made up 3mm or so that worked out to be the size needed. The old bearings with the thicker inner race are NLA. The one you got is the new part. If you need specifics I will e at the shop later today and will measure if you need.
Ciao
RML

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi ballough510,

Do you still have by any chance the old bearing to look for references that often are stamped on the side part of the bearing? That would be great for research.
Thank you,

Thierry

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thierry
The original bearing numbers with the cheeks on the inner race are 5G-88506 Made in the UK by SKEFKO Which assume to have become SKF ????
RML

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi RML,

Fantastic and many thanks.
Old catalog of SKF says: 24g-88506 corresponding at Alfa nr : 1365.24.401 which is the correct number for this bearing in the early Alfa catalog. Now we know the exact dimensions of the early bearing.
It measures 30x62x24 while the later version has 30x62x16. all this is in milimeters.
24-16= 8 mm difference between both bearings. The smaller bearing + your 2washers of 3mm and a little playing, perfect I think. But even better, thanks to you, it is not impossible anymore to find the correct bearing.

Rgds,
Thierry

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello to everybody,

Thanks a lot for the very useful information. I tried to read the numbers written on my original bearing but unfortunately they are not readable any more, cancelled during dissambly by the shop people.

Carlo

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Hello to everybody,

I bought a spare drive shaft center bearing for my drive shaft, but when the shop disassembled the old one mounted, they found out is thicker than the new one.

Now the question is: which is the correct one? The thicker or the thinner?

Unfortunately the whole drive shaft is still at the shop where it need to be re-tubed and balanced, so I do not exactly how the bearing is mounted on the shaft.

Any help to clarify is very welcome! And also any tips on where I can buy a thicker bearing, if this is the correct one.

Thanks

Carlo
Can you post a side picture of the first bearing. From the view you posted it looks like a rear axle bearing.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Alfa Owner newsletter from 9/59 & 12/62 lists the following as replacements for 1365.24401 (30 x 62 x 24)
• FAG 502728
• SKF 88506/C3
• New Departure XD88506

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Questions for ballough510:

- once the bearing 24mm width (or the 16mm+ 2 washers 4+4mm) is mounted on the shaft, a gap is left on the right side, see attachment, correct? On mine there were nothing to compensate this gap, but maybe on mine something (washer or ..) was missing
- what lenght did you make the shaft? I made 337, see attachment (I found this measure here on Alfabb), but when I mounted it seemed 2 or 3 mm too long (the shaft support is not perfectly central).

Thanks

Carlo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
alfasprinty,

Back in post# 4, you show a picture of different stages of drive shaft assembly; of what parts manual was that photo taken?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi All,
I ‘ve made some pictures of the first type Giulietta shaft coming from a 11/56 sprint for comparison with the second type.
In my opinion Carlo there is nothing in the area beside the bearing that you pointed out on your picture of post 17.
The exploded view of the early system doesn’t show any spacer either and I can’t see anything but that gap between flange and bearing.
The 337mm you found I have measured them to and following the catalog I don’t think there are differences between these front shafts for sprint and spider.
In the last picture you can see the difference in construction of both type flanges . The upper flange being the oldest type.
Hi Carl, thanks for the further information on the bearing of 24 mm.
Hi Raimondo, the picture is taken from the catalog pubblic.nr. 5622 from 10/1956
Hope this helps.
Rgds,
Thierry

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello Thierry,

Thank you very very much for the information, very glad to hear 337mm is correct!!!

Just a couple of more questions whose answer can help me understanding why my shaft seems too long:
1) can you tell me the lenght measured on the your 750 Sprint front drive shaft from the front joint (to the donut) to the center of the aluminun mounted on the bearing? See attached image
2) can you tell me the thikness of the donut of your 750 Sprint? See attached image

More, do you have some extra screws for joining front drive shaft to rear (M8x1 lenght 22, exhagon 14, partially threaded). I am missing 5 of them.

Thanks again!

Carlo

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts