Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week while getting ready to put the GTV away for the winter, I wanted to take it for one last 2020 drive. I tried to start it but it would only turn over. Since it fired up just a second before, and I no longer could hear the fuel pump running, I figured a fuse had blown, but the fuel pump fuse was good. I then crawled under the car to check the power at the wiring connected to the pump, but the wires pulled right out of the crimp connectors that were still on the tabs of the pump plug. So I assumed that was my problem (or at least it was now), and crimped new connectors onto the wires, but then wasn't sure if it mattered which wire went to each tab on the fuel pump plug. I looked all over the forum in vain, but I found no answer to this, and eventually took a guess as to which wire went where, hooked it up, and all worked fine. Pump ran, car ran, case closed. But mu OCD still has me wondering if I got lucky on first try or the pump is one that doesn't matter (maybe an oscillating mechanism instead of a rotary). Thought I would post here and see if anyone knows the answer.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
My guess is you lucked out. Here is a photo of the connection, marked + and -.
98531AD7-077C-4178-A1EF-37B57853E952.jpeg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the picture. All of the pictures I found were from an angle that didn't show those polarity markings. I guess I couldn't see those markings on my pump since they were on the far side from where I was working on it. Now I know, and it is on forum for future searchers.

Jim

·
Push hard and live
11,029 Posts
I’ve seen that side-plug as OE on the 3-port pump. Never saw one with the end plug, the picture appears to be of a two port pump.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Alfa went to the Bosch pump in 1974. The tech bulletin for repacing the earlier pump is dated 1974.

The earlier pumps were failure prone from over heating. The Bosch pump flows the fuel through the motor to keep it cool. Where the original did not.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
The microfiche shows a 3-port Montreal fuel pump. I thought these popped up in 1975. Obviously, I was wrong. :-(

View attachment 1664814

View attachment 1664815
You have to be careful when reading parts books. Look at the dates in the upper left hand corner.

You have the original printing of 1972. Then the first update of 1974. Then the last one of 1977.

So somewhere on the opposite page that matches the Tav number it will have the break down usually in VIN numbers of when the pumps where change to the next model. I.E. from AEG to the 2 port Bosch pump and the 2 port Bosch pump to the 3 port version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts