Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently Koni's for the 164 are slightly shorter than the stock "insert" per se... even though the 164S has electronic suspension and no insert (for the front ones anyway).

Here's my question, even after getting front donor inserts, will the overall shorter stroke of the shock require using shorter springs, or can I use the OEM springs? I am going to do front and rear.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
Apparently Koni's for the 164 are slightly shorter than the stock "insert" per se... even though the 164S has electronic suspension and no insert (for the front ones anyway).

Here's my question, even after getting front donor inserts, will the overall shorter stroke of the shock require using shorter springs, or can I use the OEM springs? I am going to do front and rear.

Thaniks!
You can use the OEM springs no problem. I think they are about 1/2 shorter.
One of the great advantages of KONI adjustable shocks is that there is no specific spring for matching optimum performance. Instead you can adjust your KONIs to match your springs. Most performance springs have a higher spring rate than the vehicle's original springs. Since the shock controls the motion of the spring, increased spring rates require more rebound damping for control and that is one of the reasons why KONIs are rebound adjustable (and some are double adjustable). Using higher rate springs with OE or soft shocks will very quickly overcome and wear out the shocks. The KONI adjustment range is typically about 100% (twice as firm at the full firm settings at the full soft setting) to allow for proper damping of OE springs and high rate performance springs.
Unlike some shocks, KONIs are not position sensitive so they will work properly anywhere in their stroke range providing they are not bottoming or topping out. Different vehicle suspension designs have different stroke travels but a good rule of thumb is that most vehicles can be lowered acceptably about 1 1/2 inches, beyond that the possibility of bottoming increases rapidly although some longer stroke cars can go lower. Most vehicles are equipped with bump stops to keep the shocks and springs from bottoming out. When lowering a vehicle be sure to reuse your bump stops as they are cheap insurance to avoid bottoming damage. Remember also that severely lowered vehicles typically also have a negative effect on suspension geometry, ride quality and handling, and tire and suspension part wear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What have you noticed about using the lowering springs on your site with the KONIs? If they don't lower it enough to tear up the underside of the car too badly then I might have to get a set.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
What have you noticed about using the lowering springs on your site with the KONIs? If they don't lower it enough to tear up the underside of the car too badly then I might have to get a set.
No issues~! I have been using them for years, the B+G lowering springs I offer only lower 1.25" not enough to ruin anything.

No complaints about them from anyone using them. I think they are a very nice spring, with the koni's the perfect combo.

thanks
jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts