Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Yesterday a took for test drive 164 Q4. Could you tell me whether is it normal when the car works on idle after stopping to hear a strange sound from the differential, something like "thump-thump" ? Sound is weak for a moment and the car is moving and working properly. Could this be some verification of differential?

Regards,
Vasil

P.S. I post this question and hire: Alfa Romeo 164 Register.com • View topic - Question about Alfa 164 Q4

P.P.S. Sorry about my terrible english! I hope you understand what I ask

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Your English is fine and perfectly understandable. The problem is this car is so rare not many people have experience with them to answer your question. I have only seen a Q4 once and have never even had a ride in one. There are only about 5 of them in the US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your English is fine and perfectly understandable. The problem is this car is so rare not many people have experience with them to answer your question. I have only seen a Q4 once and have never even had a ride in one. There are only about 5 of them in the US.
Yes, 164 - Q4 is rare. Only one in my country (Bulgaria) 164 Q4 produset 11.1994 , and I drive it now. The car was imported from Switzerland.

This sound is when the engine is idling and the sound disappear when the engine is turned off!
The sound is only for a moment "tup..tup" This is when waiting at traffic lights and engine running. The sound is weak. I checked the hidraulic liquid (it is new - replaced a week ago and the level is normal)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I have no idea what the sound is but I can assure that a Q4 did not make that sound when it was new. So, no, it is not normal.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
Hello! Yesterday a took for test drive 164 Q4. Could you tell me whether is it normal when the car works on idle after stopping to hear a strange sound from the differential, something like "thump-thump" ? Sound is weak for a moment and the car is moving and working properly. Could this be some verification of differential?

Regards,
Vasil

P.S. I post this question and hire: Alfa Romeo 164 Register.com • View topic - Question about Alfa 164 Q4

P.P.S. Sorry about my terrible english! I hope you understand what I ask
Did you ask the owner? I would say it is not normal. May not be diff. Metal sounds are hard to find sometimes. Could be a ball joint or suspension issue.

Jason

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
something like "thump-thump" ? Sound is weak for a moment and the car is moving and working properly. Could this be some verification of differential?
Something is wrong for sure. Mine NEVER made any thumping noises, moving or stationary.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
No it is not normal the car should be quiet free from odd thumping tapping noises. Mine is very quiet in all gears driving and stopping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks ! Tomorrow I'll look at the car in the service of friends - alfisti. Then I'll decide whether to buy my fourth alfa romeo and only 164 Q4 in my country.
Today I signed up to participate in track days, but I might drive my 155 V6 or GTV

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the car is standing and not in gear there should be no noise whatsoever except the engine idling. However you mention the differential and a thump noise. It is possible that the Steyr-Puch system is not functioning correctly and noises are hydraulic.

How much is the asking price of this car - year and kilometreage?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
If there are any qualified Alfa mechanic there, I would let them give a complete analysis. It would be well worth paying him for an hour of his time than finding out you just bought a headache.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In contrast to what previous posters are saying, the Q4 system actually does make some noises from time to time.

When listening carefully, you can hear the pressure relief valve opening a few seconds after start-up when the hydraulic system is pressurized up to ~ 85 bars.

As soon as the pressure is reached, a valve re-routes oil back to the oil reservoir instead of the hydraulic storage unit (mounted behind rear-bumper on right side).

This can be heard as a Clunk / Clinking sound.

Also when really thrashing the Q4 system, you can hear some clunking in the drive-line when the system regulates the amount of torque, but under normal driving you should not hear this.

Most important when looking at a Q4 is to see if the Q4 light comes on on the dashboard and stays off during driving.

cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
If there are any qualified Alfa mechanic there, I would let them give a complete analysis. It would be well worth paying him for an hour of his time than finding out you just bought a headache.

You need not just any qualified Alfa mechanic, but one with real Q4 knowledge, and they are very, very hard to find. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In contrast to what previous posters are saying, the Q4 system actually does make some noises from time to time.

When listening carefully, you can hear the pressure relief valve opening a few seconds after start-up when the hydraulic system is pressurized up to ~ 85 bars.

As soon as the pressure is reached, a valve re-routes oil back to the oil reservoir instead of the hydraulic storage unit (mounted behind rear-bumper on right side).

This can be heard as a Clunk / Clinking sound.

Most important when looking at a Q4 is to see if the Q4 light on the dashboard and stays off during driving.

cheers
You're right. We check in service. The car drives perfectly. Boys from the service are alfisti - they have restored cars (Alfa Romeo) aged 30-40 years, but this 164 Q4 e only one in Bulgaria.
Otherwise, the lamp uses a verification of 4x4 comes on and off and the car drives perfectly. Problem is that the car is very low (sport springs) I'm looking for original (high) springs for Q4 (they are different from those of other 164)
The car is produced 11.1994 years. Have just replaced all belts, pulleys, t.n.t. Now is 242,000 km. (Engine is perfect) I can take it for 3200 euros.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can see that the oil pressure at idle is around 3, does it go any lower when idling? If so, I suggest not to rev the engine like that if you want it to last much more than 227.000km. Oil pressure in mine is at 2 when fully warmed up.

Anyway, it's a good sign that the sensors works, as that is a weak point on 164's (several threads on this forum about it). The car generally looks good and sounds fine (apart from the noise you asked about?). If service is all right, the price seems fair to me. Any photos of the engine?

What is the instrument light flashing in front of the 'car pictogram' in the dash? I don't recall this one. Also does all the electrics work and do you have the red key and key card? As it has passenger side airbag, it must be 1995 or later and I think these had this keycard systems, but not sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oil pressure is at 2 when fully warmed - Yes!
I will check other.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I looked in my owners manual and it says 'Alarm on' meaning 'The warning lamp flashes when the electrinic theft alarm is activated'.

So as it seems that the siren hasn't started, that has been muted with the small key. It is placed at the right side in the trunk/boot, where the is a "patch" in the carpet and a key hole behind. Since the car can start, this does not seem to be a major issue.

Is there an Owners manual with the car? If not, have a look in the compartment in the rear parcel shelf.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Nice car. I wish we had those in Australia. We only got two wheel drive ones. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys! Everything is fine for now. I will not buy a car, but will buy it my close Friend - ALFIST. Again, I can drive it from time to time. If I had bought this Q4, I had to sell one of my three cars now, and I love them all:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts