Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a question about this one:

Alfa Romeo - eBay (item 160551255686 end time Mar-03-11 18:54:24 PST)

Before getting into condition, cost, etc. I inquired about smog since I am in CA. Seller says catalytics are not currently in place. Also the car has upgraded cams (11mm). I'm wondering if those cams will need to be replaced to pass emissions? Also does anyone know what other items would need to be found and/or made operational again?

I'm better off watching for one currently registered in CA, right?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The car certainly looks good in the pictures. In my experience there is no way it will pass California smog as is. It will need a cat, the headers are technically not legal, although I do know of quite a few cars that have passed with them. The cams are almost certainly going to prevent it from passing, especially with L-Jet.

It seems that the 2.5 will pass California smog with 164S cams or most of the aftermarket equivalents (Sperry HP-1, C&B fast road cams, etc.). Anything hotter is a problem, especially with L-Jet, and 11mm is hotter.

Greg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is 18,000 miles is a feature or a bug? Cars with low miles are nice, but have to wonder what goes bad from not be used on a fairly regular basis.

Agree that it is a nice GTV6. My favorite color combo.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm really tempted (depending on price). I agree that 18,000 miles is too low. If real then there are going to be issues. If not real then why not? If I can get the price reasonable then it is "just" a matter of having time to get the work done to pass smog. The biggest thing are the cams because that is more work than "just" the headers, down pipes, and fuel injection tuning. Unless of course there is an issue with the FI. I know nothing about the L Jetronic system, how many sensors are there and besides sensors could the FI unit itself be working OK now but then when the smog devices are reinstalled it goes south?

Thanks again everyone as I struggle through this...lots to learn!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have checked out many GTV6 and Alfetta GT, although I am no pro like HEAVYMETAL, my thoughts are:

1) Low Miles, that many years, not good for any seals or rubber.
2) One headliner shot shows very bad door gasket.
3) California car, why its in New Mexico now? Smog?
4) Dash is cracked, like normal.
5) Wow! Otherwise, car look awesome!

My thoughts,

ncng

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am scared to buy sight unseen (again - gee I wonder why?) plus I just don't know enough about these cars yet. I like Heavymetal a lot - he seems like a straight shooter. I think I need to wait for a car I can see and touch in CA, with a current smog cert. This is a nice looking car though for sure!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree with your decision, I have never met HeavyMetal, I am sure one day I will, I am sure I will buy a car from him some day, the more cars you look at the more you learn!

I just keep asking questions!

ncng

I am scared to buy sight unseen (again - gee I wonder why?) plus I just don't know enough about these cars yet. I like Heavymetal a lot - he seems like a straight shooter. I think I need to wait for a car I can see and touch in CA, with a current smog cert. This is a nice looking car though for sure!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

It IS real hard to buy a car long distance, essentially 'sight unseen'. Believe me, I know, I've bought a few that way and driven them home. Pics help, but don't tell the whole physical story of condition. I have sold many cars to people who saw them for the first time when they showed up on the transport. Think it'd hard to BUY that way? You should try to Sell a car you care about to someone you have not met in person, and or done a spirited test drive with!!

Low miles are VERY Cool, but come with added 'restoration' cost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts